A dumping ground/ utility?

Anyone suggest the cheapest and easiest way to make a dry area outside my side ( kitchen) door ? There is currently a slabbed patio area and walkway. Problem - patio is 18" above the height of the path. I have a small step into the kitchen also. I would like to cover the area and possibly secure it at least one side ( from front - people seem to think my kitchen door is my main door and keep posting things through my cat flap!

This is the main way into my back garden so a proper building would need two doors opposite each other - hence I need to construct it. No one does pre fabs with two doors ( on facing back and one front)

I want a dumping ground for stuff such as boots and coats and a place to store recycling boxes in the dry. I also want it so I dont troop mud / dirty feet into the kitchen every time it rains or I have been in the garden.

I would like it attached to my house ( bungalow) but I dont want to spend a fortune ( and planning permission) getting this as I am not sure I want to keep it in the long term. if I do decide its OK, and works I'll put a utility or conservatory or garden room or something there. It needs to be about 6ft in depth by 8 ft across the back around the door.

I have considered a shed but I dont want to get wet going outside and I would still have the muddy shoe problem in wet weather, hence something attached to the house.

Reply to
notpastityet?

clinker, gravel or earthcrete.

Gravel: rake cement powder into the ground or apply permeable membrane, ensure some form of border to prevent the gravel getting away, and lay down gravel.

Clinker: lay clinker, compact

earthcrete: rake cement powder into the ground

NT

Reply to
meow2222

clinker, gravel or earthcrete.

Gravel: rake cement powder into the ground or apply permeable membrane, ensure some form of border to prevent the gravel getting away, and lay down gravel.

Clinker: lay clinker, compact

earthcrete: rake cement powder into the ground, compact

NT

Reply to
meow2222

| notpastityet? wrote: | |> Anyone suggest the cheapest and easiest way to make a dry area outside my |> side ( kitchen) door ? | |clinker, gravel or earthcrete. | |Gravel: rake cement powder into the ground or apply permeable membrane, |ensure some form of border to prevent the gravel getting away, and lay |down gravel. | |Clinker: lay clinker, compact | |earthcrete: rake cement powder into the ground

Make sure whatever you do is flat enough not to form puddles and slopes slightly away from the house.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

So you want a shed or fencing panels plus roof, ie cheap shed... since it looks like you answered your own q, what exactly is the question? :) How to build a shed?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I am sorry, I obviously did not make it clear. The floor is slabbed / concrete. What I want is a cheap / easily put up construction idea for some kind of roof/ wall/ lean to which can be put up initially temporary so that I can remove it if I decide I dont want a utility room.

The problem is outside is on two levels. Outside the house I have a step down to the path/ walkway. That is 3ft wide. Then it raised 18" ( was once part of a garden but is now all slabbed and cannot be lowered because the services - water - run under it) and I want about three or four feet of this made " inside" the construction.

So this would need to be a roof affair ( canopy/ awning?) with some kind of fencing below it to secure the area as a room.

Reply to
notpastityet?

I dont actually want a shed - indeed a shed is already there but it is stood on the pation the other side of the path.

What I am looking for is a cheap effective and temporary way of roofing the area which does not entail planning ( as I said I may not keep the construction).

I had originally thought of a car port structure ( obvious I know) but in my LA it would need planning permission to put up a car port ( even one of those you see advertised by Norfolk in gardening mags), so I have to look for a way that does the same thing , can be fenced but is classed as " temporary".

Not a shed. A shed has to stand free of the house by definition. I need it to lean to in some way.

Reply to
notpastityet?

================================ Basically you want a large porch with three doors - one from the kitchen and one at each side to provide through access from front to back of your house. A shed need not stand free of the house as it could be built with one side missing where it is attached to the wall of your house. It would only require two vertical battens on the house wall (the height of the shed) and self adhesive flashing where the roof meets the wall.

Do a quick 'google' for IMAGES / 'pent roof shed' for some ideas.

Such a porch / shed could be built quickly,easily and cheaply yet sufficiently good looking as not to look an eyesore.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

================================ Corrugated plastic is really quite strong if it's properly supported and fastened. I would suggest using one piece of plastic with a piece of galvanised corrugated steel or corrugated fibre board on each side to help with strength and rigidity. Wickes sell a very good fibre board which matches their corrugated plastic or you can usually get galvanised corrugated steel by looking in local papers.

The only drawback with corrugated is the noise you'll get in heavy rain but that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Alternatively, you could use a board and felt roof which is easier to match to the flashing but obviously wouldn't be translucent.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Yes, that is exactly what I am trying to construct - or rather want to construct.

A shed need not stand free of the house as it could be built with

Porch, indeed is the right word. Thank you.

Any ideas for a cheap suitable roofing material? Would corrugated plastic sheets be enough? I am thinking of allowing natural light into this *porch* via such a roof.

Reply to
notpastityet?