Easiest/Cheapest Way to get small qty drywall home

What is the cheapest/easiest way to get 4-6 sheets of 4x8 drywall to my house. My options as I see it are have someone deliver it, but called someone last night and the delivery charge is $100, which is about five times the cost of the material or rent a pickup and try and lug it from Home Depot. I'm also doing all this on my own without anyone to help.

Thoughts?

Reply to
dpenney

find a friend/cow-orker with a pickup and offer them a six-pack after delivery?

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Okay, I'll check in with how much HD would charge for delivery, and yes they do have a truck that I could rent which might be the easiest route.

Reply to
dpenney

you could always rent from Uhaul and get the truck for the day, that way you wouldn't be rushed to unload the drywall, which by yourself will be a job, let alone doing it within the time you're allowed to have the truck from Home Depot

Reply to
Ian

Reply to
nospambob

Or Home Cheap-O does have the truck that you can rent. I did once, and the thing was under $30 for me to pick up my own patio door. They had a guy help me, but he sort of had his hand out for a tip, which I slid $5 into.

Once back home, you can get the sheets out yourself, can't you?

Reply to
ng_reader

go to an autoparts store and buy a suction cup roof carrier. (like a 2X4 with suction cups). and than make sure you secure load real good. I hauled about 100 sheets on mine over the span of a few years. 6 is the most I would do at once. It was pretty hilarious to see a chevette driving down the road loaded with wall board. It even hauled a sofa once the same way.

But the find a friend with a pick up is proably the best.

Reply to
Jmagerl

Buy a roofrack, and a sheet of 3/4" plywood.

Reply to
Goedjn

  1. HD will deliver. For far less than that, I am sure.

  1. HD will rent you a truck (and load it). Around here (central Florida) they charge for the first 75 minutes.

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ....a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

I have trailer hitch on my Jeep and whenever I need something too big to fit inside I rent one of those Uhaul trailers. They only cost $10/day.

Reply to
User Example

Are there any day laborers floating around the HD parking lot with a beater van??? Offer them some cash....ON DELIVERY!!!

Reply to
higgins

My local lumberyard delivers for free. It's not the closest one to me, either. Call around. Ask if they have a minimum amount to qualify for free delivery. Other yards might have a minimal fee.

RicodJour

includes the gas too.

Reply to
Sue

HD will rent him their truck for $19.95. Thats cheaper than the ply or the rack

Reply to
Rudy