Wall Hole Repair - Cost to repair?

I am not the "fix-it" type. I have an hole in my son's room wall that has grown to about 12 inches at it's widest. What would it cost to have someone fix it for me?

Thank you,

Scott Las Vegas

Reply to
slsmnp

For "odd jobs" like that, I recommend asking at a local hardware store (not the BigBox) if they have any tradespeople who do small jobs.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Thanks Jim for the tip. Anyone know about what I can expect it to cost?

Thanks.

Scott

Reply to
slsmnp

Anything from one rupee or dinar or many dollars, depending on where you are > on the planet, and even within your own country, and depending on the > material the wall is made from and the finish. Like asking how much is a > house.

And, depending upon if the repair man has to dig the kid's head out of the wall.

Reply to
G Henslee

Anything from one rupee or dinar or many dollars, depending on where you are on the planet, and even within your own country, and depending on the material the wall is made from and the finish. Like asking how much is a house.

Without details, even people with knowledge cannot determine a price.

Reply to
Eric Tonks

The cost of materials would be about fifty cents, IF a person had a piece of drywall, and some mud. Fifty cents might be a little high.

But, as with anything, you are paying someone who knows what they are doing to fix what you can't. I would think that you could find a handyman to do it for about $25. There are handyman services that will do it for a little more, and you have the satisfaction of hiring a licensed repairman, and a guaranteed price and outcome.

I suggest that you ask around and find a decent handyman and keep their card. Usually, you can find one among friends or neighbors.

What do you charge for two hours of what you do? That is how long it is gonna take someone to drive to your house, do the work, and drive home.

Steve Las Vegas

Reply to
SteveB

Depends. Is it the sheetrock? The outside block? Siding? Land mine explosion? Is the wall textured?

No one will show up at your door for less than $25 to $50 and they will probably charge you $50 an hour or more to do the work.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

In order to repair properly will require 2-4 trips. The actual repair and material are nothing. Each coat of finish needs to dry overnight. It will require at least 2 trips (may require a third) with drywall compound, a third for paint

DanG

There are joint compounds that set in 15-20 minutes instead of drying over night. A 12 inch hole can easily be repaired in a few hours, including cleanup ... excluding paint.

(quoted post reformatted for your convenience) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Reply to
MikeP

I will do the job for you for $3800 labor and $1200 materials. Plus you pay my airfare to and from the job, furnish meals, a hotel room, and provide me with all the beer I need to complete the job. When do you want me to start? You will be required to pay in advance.

Send payment to:

Joe Fischer Fischer Professional Construction Inc.

1680 Main St. Chicago, IL
Reply to
JoeFischer

If you furnish the material, I know a few guys that will do it just for the beer. May take a couple of days though.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

$50 to $100

Reply to
JimL

"But, as with anything, you are paying someone who knows what they are doing to fix what you can't. I would think that you could find a handyman to do it for about $25."

Unlikely you'll find anyone to do it for anywhere near that price or be satisfied with the result. This job is going to take several trips, because you have to do it in steps. I wouldn't do this job in a house next door for that price. I'd say figure on $100.

Reply to
trader4

I wrote the following:

And someone responded:

You are right. The $100 figure is probably more what the man is going to have to pay. I have a regular handyman that does a lot of maintenence and building on my house and my rental. He gives me a break, and for this kind of job, he would knock it out when he was here doing something else. Most likely, I would do it.

I lose perspective when I think of things as someone who doesn't have a clue how to do such a job, and has to go out into the public market to find a kind sort of Ben Dover repairman.

It is advisable to find and keep a reputable repairman type. Lots of times, they are close by, you just have to ask around to find those with hidden talents. A guy who is running a business will charge $100. A friend or acquaintence who just knows how to do it will probably charge less. Lots of retired people who would do it for less than $100.

For $100, a guy could buy a book on home repairs ($15), a razor knife ($5), a drywall knife ($15), a sheet of drywall ($10), some mud ($5), a roll of tape ($5) and have some dough left over. Plus own the tools and materials for the next time.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Until you can blunder into a handyman, simply cover the hole with a poster.

Me? I'd put a sign over it: "Look what David did. What a maroon."

Reply to
HeyBub

Yes, and after the wall is patched the patch area will have to be primed and painted unless you can live with the big white patch showing. Probably end up painting that one wall to get a decent colour match unless some touch up paint was left over from when the room was originally pained.

Waldo

Reply to
Waldo

Damn, you have the same suggestion I was going to give. But I think David was probably blue.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Instead of fixing the wall, you might consider having a little nook built if the wall is an inside wall and it is located waist high or higher

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

That's what Sheet Rock 20 was developed for ;-).

Reply to
Darryl