Best and cheapest way to make woodshed base.

10ft X 6 ft area? Think you'll have a few left! ;-)
Reply to
Jim K..

On whose part?

Reply to
Jim K..

I am thinking over the pros and cons of concrete versus concrete slabs on mortar.

The sub base is loose gravel over MOT type 1 thats been down 16 years. I can use the loose gravel to make concrete with. Obviously with sand as well

Area is 3m x 1.8m

Seems to come aout around £120 no matter which way I look - anyone got hard info?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message <qc3rpt$pr5$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, The Natural Philosopher snipped-for-privacy@invalid.invalid writes

I've got some 2" council type paving slabs going spare but you will have to fetch:-) (50 miles)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I have concrete paviours in my wood shed. The wood is piled on timber pallets to let the air circulate. Pallets are creosoted. The main problem is preventing the timber stacks falling over onto the timber/Coroline walls.

Reply to
harry

migt be worth it, at that...enough?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

  1. I can probably find a use for any leftover. You know they weigh about 40kg each!
Reply to
Tim Lamb

I need 10 if they are 600 x 900.

400 kg.

I think the freelander would just about take that.

It's probably a bit over the top, but its not a long way.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

600x600 or more likely 24"

e-mail works.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Me: I'd put a concrete pad at each corner and also midpoints if the shed is long and use those plastic adjustable shed base "feet" (4-5 inch diameter screw type legs) to run treated wooden bearers across, then plant the shed on top.

If your pads sink slightly, you can tweak the legs up (4' bar to take the weight off them slightly and screw the head up).

I've got them under mine as the old shed base is solid, but went on a major 4" lean along its length.

Advantages: less concrete, adjustable, keeps the wood off the damp ground.

Disadvantages: needs more height. But if it's all gravel, you could rake a few inches off the top maybe and sink the subframe into the ground?

Reply to
Tim Watts

You only need them under the floor "joists" (assuming that the shed has a timber floor), not the whole area of the shed.

Reply to
Davidm

Wrong assumption.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Four people in a five seater car and luggage could easily be more than that and even a fiat 500 can cope with that. No wonder JLR can't sell their cars.

Reply to
dennis

My shed rests on 8 ft concrete fence posts.

Reply to
dennis

I've used concrete fence posts in the past. Makes the job a doddle.

Reply to
TMH

Why? It gives air movement underneath & stops rot.

Reply to
TMH

Doesn?t that make it difficult to reach the door handle.

GH

Reply to
Marland

I suspect that the assumption that the shed has a timber floor is the one being corrected.

Hence it needs a base that will also double as an internal floor.

Reply to
John Rumm

IIRC, it's a "woodshed" not a "wooden shed"

Reply to
Andy Burns

No. He lives in a swamp and they are the piling!

Reply to
Bob Eager