Best way to install shower tray

Hi

We have bought a low profile solid shower tray. The bottom is completely flat. Our other one had ridges and I installed successfully using mastic to stick it to the flat ply floor.

I used the same technique on this one but think that because the bottom is flat the mastic wouldn't spread evenly and net result was some give in the tray. I have now lifted it up again and wonder what the best option is to fit it?

One option might be to put many thin beads of mastic with spacing to help the spread but wonder if I will get the same issue. The manufacturer has an alternative of putting sand and cement on top of the ply and fit the tray on top (unclear whether this is a dry or wet mix and what thickness)

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Lee.

Reply to
Lee Nowell

It's a wet mix, and a weak mortar. It works quite well.

Reply to
GB

The stone resin ones normally suggest bedding onto a wetish mortar mix.

I normally mix up the mortar with some SBR as an add mixture. Trowel it onto the base, and get it approximately level at about 1/2" thick. Lay a couple of bits of plastic pipe across the mix, and drop the tray onto that. Slide into final position and then pull the pipes out to drop the tray in place (its easy to do heavy trays with access from only the front this way).

Put a level on it and tap level with a rubber hammer, then leave to set having made sure the drain hole is clear and unobstructed and ready for connection.

Reply to
John Rumm

I'll second that.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Thanks very much both.

Reply to
Lee Nowell

My shower was installed on a bed of tile adhesive, which the fitter used because it was to hand. It's been in around 15 years now, with no sign of any movement or deterioration.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

So long as it confirms to the shape of the bottom of the tray and gives good support, its probably not that critical what you use.

ISTR a friend of mine did it with bonding plaster since it was what was to hand... Not so keen on using something quite so absorbent myself, but in fairness it worked well enough.

Reply to
John Rumm

So I ended up using sand and cement. Any ideal how long it takes to set enough to stand on to tile?

Reply to
Lee Nowell

Its a fairly well spread load, so a day or so should be plenty.

Reply to
John Rumm