On the 7th day...

Business land line rang at half ten this morning - we don't answer it on Sundays. No message left.

Two mins later the mobile rings. Message left this time.

I check the message in case its some kind of emergency - it isn't, bloke wants some flat pack assembled.

Half past three the mobile rings again - this time I answer it - its the flat pack guy.

"Will you be able to assemble it today"?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Double time on Sunday? ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Sure. £150/hr for Sundays.

Reply to
Huge

I'm sure that there are some who would!

Out of interest, how many requests for "flat pack assembly" do you get?

tim

Reply to
tim....

If it was to replace something he'd broken before the wife came back, he'd probably pay twice that.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Good lord, you mean people will pay you for simply un-packing the stuff and screwing it together?

I can see why a little old lady might want someone to do this for them, but otherwise...

I'm going to become the Aberdeen Handyman :-) ( and I'll simply copy TMH's website because I CBA to make my own ;-) )

Reply to
Ron Lowe

In message , The Medway Handyman writes

Get out and work you lazy bugger ...

Reply to
geoff

3 or 4 a month. I have spent whole days doing nothing else.
Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Yup. Along with installing wire free doorbells, fitting plugs to sinks, & changing light bulbs.

All age ranges. Couples in their late 20's are frequent customers, dunno what they have been teaching in schools.

The Medway Handyman

assembled and installed 4 x Ikea PAX wardrobes with a range of drawers and internal fittings from the Komplement range. To put this into perspective, this is how long it takes some people to assemble just one wardrobe!"

What sort of numpty takes 6 hours to assemble one wardrobe?

TBH I wouldn't want to spend six hours just assembling wardrobes, but then I wouldn't buy 4 all at once in the first place!

tim

Reply to
tim....

textspeak with a work experience visit to the jobcentre, probably.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I had to restrain myself from hurling while listening to radio 4 last night. Schools don't bother teaching woodwork, metalwork, chemistry, physics, biology, the classics or modern languages. Apparently kids are now (according to teachers) too thick to learn these subjects. Or there is fear about exposing kids to "risk".

Reply to
Steve Firth

Excellent news. They'll *have* to employ old farts like me.

Reply to
Huge

God !!! I'll have to hide this thread from the wife, I purchased a flat pack wardrobe approx 3yrs ago and it's still in it's box(s). " But it's on the list my dear, Job No564." O:-) Don

Reply to
Donwill

No, they wont. Because yo probably wouldn't pass all the tests they need to make sure you are safe around children, don't clip them round the ear, have taken all the relevant H & S exams blah vvblah.

The ability to actually teach anything is not considered a requirement these days.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yeah, and I forgot to finish my train of thought. Schools do, however, find time in the curriculum for lessons in "emotional intelligence" where children are taught, as a fact, that their bodies contain six different types of energy each with a different colour.

I think our jobs are secure for the next few decades. After which, the UK will be the B-ark of Europe.

Reply to
Steve Firth

No, schools are *told* to find...

Like they're told to do much of what a responsible parent should do. If they didn't have to act as stand-in parents they might, just might, have time to do what it used to say on the tin.

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I don't want to be a teacher. What I meant was there if there's nobody who can read and write coming out of the schools, there'll still be jobs for old farts like me.

Reply to
Huge

Aaaeeeeiiiiii!!!!!!!!

Reply to