Car insurance - a warning re quotes

According to the MSE checker thing, for a £1000 baseline:

Sand merchant £1000 (baseline) Gravel merchant £5211

???

Reply to
Theo

Its normal clawback. I mean surely you only have an offer because you can lock people in to recoup the money, Telecoms and internet companies have been doing it for years. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

likewise prescribe/proscribe

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

See also :

wonder / wander definitely / defiantly

These days no doubt blamed on auto corrupt.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

I would expect for the purposes of fraud protection they would uniquely fingerprint your browser and PC and log the information entered against that as well as the stuff you choose to give.

Reply to
John Rumm

A friend of mine got caught out when thinking about modifying his car by adding an induction kit. He decided to use his insurers quote facility to see what difference it would make to the policy cost before deciding if it was worth doing the mod. Later, having decided against doing the mod, his renewal bounced because they said that the details he gave did not match the vehicle. It was only when finally they spoke to him on the phone he found out why - they had assumed that his car now had the mod.

Reply to
John Rumm

A given site might, but if you put in Joe Bloggs, 99 Acacia Avenue AB1 2CD,

2009 Ford Focus into the price comparison site, the insurer doesn't see the PC and browser, they just get an API call to quote for that set of details made by the comparison site.

Then you pick the insurer, go to their site and quote for your real details of Joe Schmoe, 99 Larch Drive AB1 2CE, 2008 Ford Focus. They don't have anything to match that up with.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

I always correct such errors. It's a matter of principal. Bill

Reply to
wrights...

It needs some unpicking. Which is *exactly* what actuaries do. However the bottom line is pound or pound, insurers payout less when the policyholder is a woman. Until the EU stick it's nose in.

Speaking of which can someone direct me to the story about insurers taking advantage of Brexit to return to offering women lower premiums ? Google seems to be a bit reticent.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

It's worse than that. Change any details & they may assume youo're attempting fraud. Cue refusals & a major price hike.

Reply to
Animal

Sounds like something a government might want.

"We wish to _appear_ to have principles, but let's 'engineer' things so that principles don't get in the way of doing what is expedient.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

Back when I worked for a living, I never found anything on their lists which accurately described me. I always ended up being forced to pretend to some job description which was untrue, but seemed the least inaccurate.

"Retired" is so much easier.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

Probably somewhat biased because in so many couples, the man does all the long distance driving and all the driving in busy or unknown areas, so the risks are greater - but only because the woman in dodging the risk.

Reply to
SteveW

Having worked for Gan Insurance for a few years (one of the underwriters used ny the AA amongst others) I can assure you that the list of occupations is eye-wateringly large.

Chicken Sexer comes to mind. Apparently this is a very skilled job. You need to know if the day-old chick is going to lay eggs or disappear into a vat of CO2.

Reply to
Andrew

The publisher of the Beano employ a Director of Mischief

Reply to
Andrew

Discrete/discreet, averse/adverse, and many others.

Reply to
S Viemeister

According to the MSE job checker, a Poultry Worker pays less than half the price of the same quote for a Chicken Sexer. So better not to admit to the latter.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

And?

Just use a neighbours address and their car registration to get the best quotes before buying your own insurance.

Reply to
ARW

No - they flushed that out in analysis.

I had to work with out actuaries on a couple of projects. If big data is your thing; they are the guys.

Worth remembering that the more you can isolate factors, the less insurance is worth providing. If you could derive someones risk profile to >90%, then a lot of people simply won't get insurance.

And with all the mountains of data building up, we are getting closer each year.

I wonder if there will eventually be a need for the government to define a universal service obligation for insurers ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Indeed. Insurance is not there to cover your incompetence, its there to guard against acts of God so to speak.

When I ran our business, my younger business partner wanted to get 'key man' insurance in case I died. They looked at my age, and mentioned a premium that would have ruined the business anyway.

The funny thing is he died years ago from prostate cancer, and by the luck of the draw, I haven't.

"There are two sorts of people, those who think the government is there to help them, and those who think."

The Natural Philosopher