Car Airbag Light

Not sure which is the best car forum - any advice?

My wife's Kalos is displaying the airbag Warning Light (MOT Failure)

Generic Fault Code Readers do not work with this car and I want to avoid a ?60 bill just to have the dealer plug in their reader.

I am after any suggestions beyond checking the connectors under the seats.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Wrong. The bulb comes on and then goes out. Any other behaviour is a fail.

Reply to
Huge

"Phil L" wrote in news:G25%x.16876$ snipped-for-privacy@fx38.am:

The generic readers are useless on the Kalos. I hawked the car to many independants when I had a ABS warning and despite their hopes they could not identify which wheel was giving the problem. The main dealer could find it immediately. No light = Fail. Light not going out = Fail

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Correct - since 2013 I believe.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

EVERY car sold in Europe over the last decade and a bit MUST have EOBD diagnostics which can be read with any EOBD reader. BUT... EOBD only applies to a subset of engine management codes. ABS, Aircon, SRS etc are not covered by it.

Reply to
Adrian

I've vaguely considered making a replacement lamp/led that would mimic the on/off behaviour of warning lamps (simple timer circuit), but have always found an easier solution. I imagine there would be a market for such devices, but I guess that helping to cheat the test would be legally frowned upon.

Reply to
John

John wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

I would like to try some sort of Air Bag Simulator that I could substitute into the under-seat wiring. By process of elimination I might even find the fault

Reply to
DerbyBorn

But there is only ONE way to properly test the airbags:-)

Reply to
ARW

Wouldn't it be easier to simply fix the ABS? Most common fault is a sensor. And they aren't expensive - or rather shouldn't be. The actual hall effect chip inside it costs a couple of quid retail.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Or even allowing for cars parts markup, £35-40 on ebay.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Some vehicles have sensors incorporated into things like bearings. That tends to add a "0" to the cost of a sensor!

Reply to
Fredxxx

Indeed. And you can only do it once!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Take the bulb out it?s then an advisory and not an MOT failure

Reply to
Mark

I've looked this up, and it does seem to be a fail only where the bulb is lit. If its removed then its a pass!

Reply to
Fredxxx

You'd think so wouldn't you but not Land Rover. If Discovery II (and maybe othere models) throws an ABS sensor fault it's new hub time... Having said that it's 50:50 that its thrown the ABS fault as the bearings are shot and there is too much play. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Er I don't think so The Testers Manual 3.4 Anti-Lock Braking Systems and Electronic Stability Control Systems:

Reason for Rejection:

  1. A warning lamp: a. is missing b. does not illuminate c. indicates a fault
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

thats all very true but the question was about AIR BAG warning light

not ABS

try again with the tester Manual

-
Reply to