Wife's car

I mentioned in another thread that my wife had flipped her car over . Turns out that where it went into the ditch was the end of a concrete culvert that goes under the highway , and it musta hit pretty hard . We pulled it out and righted it yesterday , I waited until today to start it , just to be sure all the fluids had seeped back where they belong . There is no visible damage to any of the steering parts ... but when the left wheel is straight the right one is pointing off yonder . I drove it home today , with the right front ogff in the gravel . Dug the prettiest furrow you ever saw , and it got *VERY* exciting coming down the still-ice-coated gravel road we live on . Car has probably suffered frame/subframe damage , and with the age and mileage it's pretty likely they'll total it . Bummer , that was a sweet ride .

Reply to
Snag

Lots of it's Ford cousin available at good prices just about anywhere.

Reply to
clare

Ok great...and NOW you will call the ambulance for your wife?

Reply to
philo

Well , probably not since she's not seriously hurt . She got more injuries from slipping and falling on the slick road surface than she got in the wreck .

Reply to
Snag

On 01/11/2014 06:12 AM, Snag wrote: hing>

Glad she came through ok.

Reply to
philo

Sorry to hear that. I've lost vehicles to wrecks. No fun, go shopping for another vehicle, and get the tools and such moved from one to the other. Heck of a lot of time, and of work.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Hi, Tissue damage can cause long term effect. Better put it on the record with the insurance company. By any chance did her vehicle have winter tires? I found out some winter tires are good on ice, some are good in snow. The Finnish Akkapelka winter tire is pretty good on ice. Pretty expensive tires. We're on Michelin X Ice IIs.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

You mean the Nokian Hakkepelitas - or Haks as we used to call them in the rallye fraternity back in the late seventies. The old Blue Metzlers were EXCELLENT on ice too.

Reply to
clare

Never heard of Nokian until a month ago. Put a set of Nokian WRG3 on my car. So far, they seem to be pretty solid performers in snow but with little ice experience. They are a good year round tire.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The Hak is DEFINITELY a winter only tire. VERY agressive - they are a bit noisy, but will handle anything finland and russia can throw their way. In the non-studded class ice racing the Haks and Metzler Blue were the only tire that could hack it (no pun intended) back in the '80s - before the Blizzaks and GraspIc and Michelin Ice tires were developed.

Reply to
clare

AFAIK, the Haks are not sold here. The WRG3 is touted as being a tire specifically designed for North America. They do have a snow rating, but can also cruise at 149 mph.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

W deon't usually carry tools in her car . She expects me to maintain it so that tools are seldom necessary . And I do .

Reply to
Snag

Hi, Firestone Blizzak is good winter tire but it wears too fast. Heard they have ground walnut shell in their rubber compound. Also I think Toyo winter tires contain citrus oil.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I had Hakks a decade back. Nice Winter tires but make sure you don't run them for any distance when it gets warm. They are strictly a Winter tire. ...or at least were. Maybe they've compromised some.

Reply to
krw

Hakks aren't sold here? Where's "here"? I had several sets of Hakks when I lived in Vermont. I bought them at Costco, even.

Reply to
krw

I guess that is why these were engineered they way they were. Very good on dry but I've not had summer heat yet. They handle well at higher speeds, but I've not gone over 100 yet and doubt many of us do on a regular basis.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Maybe I got bad information. Here is CT and MA.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I had them on my '93 Vision TSi, which I junked in '01, so it's been a few years.

Reply to
krw

I'm sure they'll drive very well in the desert, too, for a few miles. The composition isn't meant to withstand summer tire temperatures. Unless something has changed, they'll wear very badly. They're intended to be "sticky" in cold weather.

Reply to
krw

Yes, me too.

Was she able to drive when the wheels were up?

Reply to
micky