Another light bulb thread...

Has anyone found a low energy lamp that will fit a posh bulkhead light fitting[1], has a BC base, and is dimmable?

So really it needs to disk out fairly omnidirectional illumination from the side of the lamp. There is not much scope for cooling in the fitting.

Light output of the order of a 40W GLS - although its not critical.

[1] Similar to :

a bit more rounded off with some brass bits - but ultimately a space big enough for a GLS lamp mounted on its side and backed by a reflector.

Reply to
John Rumm

The ones with a tungsten halogen peanut inside a standard looking glass envelope.

Reply to
F Murtz

Yup that would work, although not give as much energy saving... A LED option would probably be best.

(these tend to do long hours - the kids like some light coming in from the landing at night. Although I have weaned them onto allowing them to be dimmed!)

Reply to
John Rumm

I bought some 70W ones from B & Q and one out of four failed after one minute. Otherwise I think they're good. Very nice light quality.

Oh no, horrible light. Ghastly.

When I were a lad we had a night light. The other thing was, we were advised that the monsters only ate children who were awake.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

In message , at 02:54:38 on Tue, 23 Oct

2012, Bill Wright remarked:

It wasn't just my bad luck then. I bought three, one failed in a minute the second in about a month. I think the third one's still working.

Reply to
Roland Perry

I think the modern version is ; Jimmy saville will fix it for you ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

For many of them this is true... however there are a few out there which are nothing like the nasty blue white things that many associate with them.

Also keep in mind this is on a landing anyway, so perfect colour rendition etc is not as important as in room one is spending time in.

;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

I've got a Philips LED desk lamp which uses a single LED. The colour on it is quite nice. These things are definitely improving.

Reply to
Clive George

If it was mine, I would consider converting it to take a 2D lamp or LEDs components and PSU. For LED, it helps if the back plate is copper or aluminium for heat dissipation (that one looks like pressed steel).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

My one does not really look like that - but its the closed I could find in a hurry. Internally its a flatish steel plate (brass effect) with a ceramic BC lampholder mounted sideways on at one edge...

Not space in there for a 2D fitting.

Its also on a Varilight master / slave electronic dimmer setup with three switches (one master, two slaves)

Like this:

with the shade off:

John Rumm