Lidl car inspection light.

Lidl have their car LED inspection light on offer again. 23 LEDs down one side of a tube shape, as it were, which has a hook or magnetic attachment. Come with car battery and mains chargers. Lasts about 4 hours on a charge

-all for 8 quid. No car should be without one. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, they're good - I bought one a while ago.

But be careful how you store it. I came to use mine recently after it had been stored in the storage compartment under the boot floor - and it had a flat battery. I assume that something had been pressing against the ON button!

Reply to
Roger Mills

If the "ON" button is soft-switching rather than mechanical there will be a constant current drain. Better to slip a bit of plastic strip into the battery compartment when not in use.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Show me how to (non-destructively) get into the sealed battery compartment and I will.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

It's a small mechanical switch under a waterproof cover so fairly hard to trigger easily.

Bought a couple yesterday. Not hugely bright LEDs (or with any form of reflector[1]/focussor) but the spacing of them should reduce shadows from a point source torch and be useful.

[1] I know LEDs are directional but there's usually a little spillage and reflections from whatever lens/cover they're behind that would be worth catching.
Reply to
Scott M

With an appropriately chosen MOSFET switch, this will be orders of magnitude lower than the battery's self-discharge rate.

Exposure to damp or excessive heat would be a more significant factor.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I've not had that problem, and I have one in each car. However, rechargeable batteries do tend to self discharge.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I suppose it could have self-discharged. I hadn't looked at it for quite a while. [Prompt: I'd better check it again!]

Incidentally, if the battery does go flat, you can run the lamp from the charging cable as long as you're near enough to a cigar socket.

Reply to
Roger Mills