Can I work as a freelance Electrician?

I'm considering starting up as a self-employed elctrician (domestic installations). However my qualification and experience are way out of date. I served a 5 year elec. apprenticeship but that was 20 years ago - and I passed the 5 year (part time) course that my company gave me time off to attend. I've heard that as from April this year is will be illegal to perform this kind of work without the latest appropriate CGLI cert. and some official registration. Is this true? Will it actually be illegal? I'm quite happy to sit the course but time is problem I must admit. What steps to I need to follow to start such a self-employed business today. Thank you.

Reply to
Mike

I believe it isn't in place yet. Do a bit of research to check the current situation, then you might just be able to start work and gain some grandfather rights when they decide that banning 3/4 of all electricians is not going to wash.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Yes I was wondering about that - quite a few people out of work overnight.

Reply to
Mike

"Mike" wrote | I'm considering starting up as a self-employed elctrician ... I've | heard that as from April this year is will be illegal to perform | this kind of work without the latest appropriate CGLI cert. and | some official registration.

AFAIK this is only being mooted under the English b. regs.

You could always move to Scotland. Penetration of mains gas is much lower, so electric heating is more prevalent, giving some additional work opportunities.

Owain

Reply to
Owain