My creda built in oven (forgot to bring the model number to work but is
about 5 years old) has developed an intermittent fault. Without any use
it switches itself on and off randomly. When it is off cutting and
reinstating the power appears to make no difference (it remains off).
It will power up again only when it is good an ready!
Power is getting to it (the above gas hob always has power to provide
sparks) so I am assuming this would be a problem with an overheating
sensor. However, when it does come back on I can use the oven without
it tripping off (at least for 30 minutes).
Am I correct in assuming that it is a overheating sensor that is a
fault here? If so could a fairly competent DIY'er (I have a little
background in electronics) buy the correct sensor and replace it?
Thanks for your help.
If it comes on when its meant to be off, the problem is the on/off
switch in the oven. Nothing else could make it come on when not meant
to. You can usually get replacement parts ok. With some ovens the
on/off switch isnt as simple as it sounds.
It sounds likely.
There are two likely possibilities.
1) the sensor's dead or dying. Replacing the cutout will cure the problem.
2) the oven is overheating and the cutout's just doing its job properly.
Obviously if it's the latter then you'll want to address the underlying
issue before replacing the sensor 'cos it may not be faulty.
I don't know how yours works, but there's often a case-fan which draws
air between the oven inner and the outer casing to keep it cool. If this
is either sluggish 'cos of grot or the airways are clogged that may
account for the overheating.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
Thanks guys. It seems like there is disagreement on this one! To
The cooker switches on an off when it is not being used, this to me
suggets that power is getting to it but that something is cutting the
oven and timer on and off. It does have a time clock and this goes off
at the same time as the oven doesn't work.
I'll probably open it up at the weekend and have a look
Guy King wrote:
Not an assumption I would make. Does it have a time clock? Does the
display stay lit during outages? A dodgy time clock PCB has the
capability of causing faults like this.
Yes but see below.
Be aware that a modern electric oven gets itself into a very bad state
after 3-4 years. Spade connectors seem to get annealed, slack and
oxidised, unsupported wires entering spade connectors embrittled with
broken strands, insulation hardened and burnt.
Altogether V. Nasty.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.