Calling John Rumm re earlier reply to plumbing question ...

John

I was trying to work out some sizes of tap connectors a couple of weeks back, and you determined that these were most likely standard 1/2 BSP and

3/4 BSP. You then made a suggestion of

a possible solution to get from the service valve to the tap inlet. You said

"Just take off the body of the compression fitting on the flexi and and the remaining nut will screw straight onto your existing service valve."

I must be getting dumb in my old age, but looking at the picture of that item, I can't for the life of me see how that can work. It looks as though the only part that can be removed, is the actual compression nut, leaving a compression joint body firmly fixed to the flexi. Am I missing something here ? It would actually be easy enough for me to put stubbs into the existing service valves, which would then give me the choice of push fit or compression. Does that sound right ?

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

> as a possible solution to get from the service valve to the tap

Stubs yes, that will work. The knowledgeable Mr Rumm must have had an 'off' day :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Na, me neither ;-)

Yup sorry I think we were talking at cross purposes... the bit about removing the nut was not actually talking about the flexi at all. I was referring to the case when you have a standard service valve already on the pipe, and you have a flexi that ends in a BSP female tap connector (on the pipe end). Then you take the nut off the service valve and ditch the olive, and screw the BSP flexi onto the service valve directly.

This works well for things like mixer taps that have pipe tails, or female threaded inlets. You can then use a BSP female to threaded male, or compression / pushfit etc to go to the tap / tap tails.

If you have BSP both ends, then you will need the harder to find flexi with BSP female at both ends. This will then let you connect together two standard tap connectors (or one tap connector and a service valve.

Yup, with the ones pictured you would need a stub to join it to the valve.

Reply to
John Rumm

>>> as a possible solution to get from the service valve to the tap inlet. >> You said

Thanks both ... not going mad after all .... (although it was a distinct possibility !!)

I have to get from a 22mm service valve to the inlet on the 'tap' - which is actually a ceramic cartridge type valve that looks a bit like a tap without any spout, and which we determined was probably 3/4 BSP - then from the outlet on the 'tap' again at 3/4 BSP to the filler unit (spout equivalent) which takes 1/2 BSP), so I am figuring simplest way to do this, and to span the distances involved, is to use flexis at 1/2 BSP to 15mm push fit --> few inches of standard 15mm copper pipe

Reply to
Arfa Daily

The trick John described only works for 1/2" BSP and 15mm compression fittings which have the same thread (cue some pedant who will point out the difference in the profile of the end of the threaded part: that would normally be me but I'll leave it for anyone else who fancies the job this time :-)).

Unfortunately the thread on 22mm compression fittings (e.g. your 22mm service valve) is quite different from 3/4" BSP (as you'd have on a BSP female x female flexi).

Reply to
YAPH

Yes indeedy ! I already figured that by trying the compression nut from one of the service valves on the 3/4 BSP tap thread, and of course, it didn't fit ... :-\

I think I've pretty much decided how I'm going about it now. Thanks all for the input ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Hmm, I think you are right - the compression thread is a smaller diameter on a 22mm one than on a washing machine hose connector...

ok, ignore me - brain fart.

Reply to
John Rumm