Ping John Rumm

Some time ago, you were kind enough to supply me with a laptop at a very good price, which has done sterling service.

It's an HP 350 G2, upgraded to a SSD.

As is pretty common with these things, the characters have worn off the most used keys, so I've bought a new keyboard for it.

Just wondered if you - or anyone else - had changed one and know of any gotchas before I delve inside?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Andy Burns

Back when I could see somebody told me a way to keep the legends on for longer. Picture varnish, not the type which is based on a solvent though. It has to be done very carefully by somebody with a steady hand of course. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

In article snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk>, Dave Plowman (News) snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk> scribeth thus

Yes twice now on a HP the original machine had a Portuguese one on it but the price was chap.

Google Youtube Dave I did!..

Some on there it wasn't that difficult at all Ten minute job!.

Reply to
tony sayer

You did not make the mistake I did, Got a Spanish one, took ages to find how to get the @ key (right shift and @ button)

Reply to
FMurtz

Brilliant. A much easier job than I anticipated.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have changed a number of HP keyboards, but can't be sure if I have actually done a 350 G2 (While there can be significant differences between very similar sounding model numbers - most of the older ones are pretty straight forward).

Flip the machine over and take out any screws with a keyboard logo beside them (there may be 2 or 3 typically). Philips 0 screwdriver normally.

The from the top you can use a flat bladed screwdriver - or better a proper plastic spudger or a plectrum to free the top of the keyboard from the spring clips - you push them to the side away from the keyboard and prise it up at that point. There are several along the top edge and possibly a couple on the sides at the top. That should allow the top to pop free. The bottom is retained just by some lugs that poke into recesses at the bottom edge of the keyboard tray. You can them left it out, taking care not to tug the flexy cable. Then just flip the retaining lever on the connector, take out the old keyboard, connect up the new and set it back into the recess. Snap it into the clips and replace the screws. (probably worth testing before you fix it back!)

Reply to
John Rumm

Make far more sense if they engraved the keys, rather than just printing them.

The keyboard I'm using now dates from the early 90s, and still perfect.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Same here. Late 80s in my case! And I've used it practically every day.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I finally ended up with a veryt cheap ViCtsing wired KB. Not mechanical but the keys are properly engraved.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'm using a Compaq keyboard with printed markings of similar vintage. The bottom half of E has gone and some others are fading. The keys should have a slight texture, those that are starting to lose their markings have worn smooth...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice
99% of the time I use a USB keyboard (and mouse) with my laptop: i can optimise screen and keyboard positions, it has more keys, i can get jam on it, and the laptop keys stay clean for the rare times I use it without a keyboard. [g]
Reply to
George Miles

Good news and bad news.

The good is it only takes about 5 minutes to do. Remove the two screws - one inside the memory hatch - and using a small screwdriver etc small enough to fit through that screw hole, push the keyboard out enough to get a fingernail (or whatever) under the edge and it then pulls off the clips. Undo the ribbon connector, and then replace the keyboard.

The bad news is the £13 quid cheapy from Ebay is poor. Looks just fine but the keys don't feel as nice - and the space bar needs a thump to work at all.

Where would I get a genuine one at a good price? Some others at slightly more on Ebay sort of say they are genuine, but only in the small print.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think I have bought ones from Aj Parts on ebay that have been ok. You may find as the models age, finding stock of the OEM parts can be harder.

You can also buy spares direct from HP though:

If you put the part number 758027-031 in here:

It lists them in stock for £22

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks, John. I Googled HP parts, but their own site said NLA. Although didn't want to recognise the laptop by model or serial number. ;-) I've set up a return for the keyboard, and will order one up from them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Also, I have dealt with these people before, with good results:

Bob Eager

I asked another Ebay supplier if their replacement was a genuine part, as implied in the spec. This was the reply:-

HI,This product in the listing is a replacement for HP.Regards

Which was rather obvious, but not what I asked. Not sure how many make 'pattern' spares, but Likely all the Ebay cheapies are the same, despite the variation in prices.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Identifying "genuine" can be hard anyway since its not uncommon for the OEM to use more than one brand of part in a given machine. You tend to notice it with displays especially where they might have three or four makes which are all original equipment.

Reply to
John Rumm

But I'd guess the maker would specify identical performance. Not some having heavier to operate keys than another. And perhaps I'm odd expecting the space bar to work anywhere along its length. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Keyboard arrived from the above today, and is exactly like the original in all that matters. Even included fitting instructions which looked to genuine HP ones. So happy, for once. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)