Why are long drill bits so hard to find?

For example this 3mm HSS cobalt, 98mm long. Couldn't find a 4mm that length at all!

Surely plenty folk need to drill a hole through something thick before putting a screw right through and into the wood behind?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

The standard length for a 4mm width drill bit tends to be about 60mm. Useless for almost every task.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I've found plenty really long masonry bits that are 10mm thick or more, but thinner ones, like you'd use for pilot holes for screws, are always way too short.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Ah, the phrase "extra long" seems find them. Sometimes search engines are so pernickety.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I bet those snapped easily.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Prick.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

I can imagine you to be the sort to have already given yourself a frontal lobotomy.

Reply to
Fredxx

Grow up.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I googled long HSS and found lots. Bought some. Very very useful.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Without a doubt, longer bits are often more vulnerable than shorter ones in all sorts of situations, especially if the shank is the same diameter all the way up.

Doing your drilling in a pillar drill with the job firmly held and when taking it easy then it might be less of an issue but a longer (especially thinner) bit can have more whip, less rigidity (especially when first starting to drill) and more likely to snap if it binds as there is less torsional rigidity to push the cutting face passed it's stalled point (so the bit can 'wind up' more).

Using a long bit in a hand held drill is more difficult than a short one (again, as a function of the diameter, specifically the smaller diameters) as they would be more likely to get caught on stuff and hence broken in general use (I've broken a brand new bit in a cordless drill by just putting it down).

Also, because they are more flexible than shorter bits you can often over flex them if trying to 'steer' the bit into the workpiece and similar if you don't keep the drill parallel with the hole, once the bit is in the workpiece (you don't get as much feedback because the bit is more flexible than it's shorter counterpart).

I know I've been lucky if I'm able to put a longer / thinner bit back in it's box after using it than I am a std / shorter one. Part of that is because they are usually more expensive and secondly because they aren't as easy to obtain as 'std' bits (so if you break the last one before you have finished the job you could be stuck, even if the hardware shops are open).

As an aside, I was surprised to snap a quality 13mm HSS bit whilst drilling though some thinish steel the other day. I was in a hurry and so pushing things faster than I might (like increasing the size of a hole in more suitable increments) but was surprised it happened with a cordless drill (Stanley Fatmax). [1]

Cheers, T i m

[1] I think I had the drill on the slower speed (more torque) because of the amount of metal I was moving (and without coolant etc) and because there was little rotary inertia, when the bit tip snagged it twisted the drill sideways slightly causing a bending moment on the drill shank and hence it snapping.
Reply to
T i m

Ah! That is why he needs such a long drill - to reach the cranial contents.

Maybe this would be long enough?

Dormer HSS-E High Speed Cobalt PFX Extra Long Series Drill Bit with 130 Degree Point, Diameter 4.0 mm, 150 millimetres long

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Most places only sell drill bits that length to licensed handymen, like me.

This also reminds me of a little yuk yuk....

A delicious young thing in a bar once said, "A long man is good to find." Later I discovered that "she" was a ladyboy.

Reply to
Colonel Edmund J. Burke

Ignore him, he is just trolling. The sensible people on the group accept the medically proven benefits of trepanning. So keep on at it.

Reply to
Pancho