Calling all deaf people - 4500 Watt wireless speaker

Wow

£2,450 for a single wireless speaker, all 4500 watts. That must make heating unnecessary too.

" Phantom Premier obliterates all existing home sound systems.", is that because it knocks the walls down ???. We need to know.

The Lost Vinyl recordings are intriguing, especially how they 'found' them :-

"It took a team of highly skilled sound archaeologists over a year to find the first legendary recordings, buried in the immensity of the world's sound archives. "

I've never heard of a sound archaeologist before. I thought that's what certain modern 'musicians' did - listen to really old recordings hoping that everyone had forgotten them and re-hash and re-record them as their own 'new' album.

Also, if anyone is prone to epilepsy, WFT is going on when you select UK english and goto the home page ???.

For Brians benefit, it's like trying to watch Quest with a group C/D aerial (if that helps).

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

Does no-one remember that splendid spoof article in Wireless World in about 1970 where someone did a calc based on dynamic range and argued the need for something like kilowatt speakers, and claimed to have made them. IIRC there was a punch-line about causing structural damage when he dropped the pick-up on a disk. Written under the by-line

George Izzard O'Vearing.

Reply to
newshound

It was in a April editiion. #Dropping the pickup onto the disc "caused the room to be filled with flying splinters due to the flimsy nature of modern loudspeaker cabinets."

There was a letter in reply the following month by Ivor N'eadache

Reply to
charles

They claim "0" distortion; -so I take the rest of their claims with a pinch of salt.

Reply to
Chris Holford

Needed for hill and dale recordings?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Remember if you double the power of an amp, you only get a 3 dB increase in level. And the rule of thumb is most regard 10dB as being double the level subjectively. So a couple of hundred watts that many would consider the norm for a decent amp soon grows to seemingly astronomic figures. Assuming you can find speakers to handle it. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I wired up a disco that had around 1500W of almost hi fi speakers. But eficient horms

About 114dB in the dance floor centre. Thos would actually be less dBA than that due to the fact its smaller and less efficient

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not really, but I do understand what you mean. Perhaps its some new kind of LSD simulator? No drugs needed?

I think one of the most power wasteful devices I have come across for the 'serious audiophile is some devices and a 2 KW amplifier which goes under the name, Butt Kicker. It seems that these are heavy weights attached to a spring which you put under your chairs and drive from an infrasound output on some Dolby surround systems. So when somebody fires a cannon, or explodes something on your massive screen, you feel it in the gut. Some say they actually work better if on the back of the seat. I wonder how far this sort of thing can go before it actually does start to damage the house or the innards of the poor human in the room. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes with these and a set of butt kickers though, perhaps you can only listen when on economy 7 in the middle of the night? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It was said in the press that for the Stones Hyde Park concert in the late 60's they assembled a kilowatt of amps for the first time.

Reply to
newshound

I dont think so .

Pretty sure Zeppelin had that much before.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Previous ...

Unbox Therapy - Unboxing The $3000 Bluetooth Speaker

Unbox Therapy - Unboxing The $1300 Bluetooth Speaker

Adrian Caspersz

Zep's first album was Jan 69, the concert July 69. Stones had been going for several years by then, I think Zep took a while to catch up. Here's a studio set in March 69

newshound

There was a group called Three Dog Night in the early 70s who claimed to have the loudest PA system.

Reply to
Graeme Wall

Yes well there is nothing you can do that can't be Done as a famous song once said If you want loud though, just stand near to a lightning strike. That is also going to leave you a little less undeaf. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

That's a perfect description of the notorious douchebag who calls himself Moby.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

No, but do *you* remember, from the same magazine at the very same time, the fast and reliable parts supplier-seeker, Walter Breadboard? ("mild- mannered, pipe-smoking electronics engineer; grows fabulous dahlias")? It appeared in the form of a comic strip. I can't recall which company's parts the strip was promoting after all these years. Hopefully someone here may, though.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I'm pretty sure that was Deep Purple. Epic sound system that echoed around the Swiss mountains even with all the doors and windows of the venue barred.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

50th anniversary of Stones in the Park in 7 days' time! 3 days after Brian died IIRC.
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

How inefficient are those speakers though, if the power quoted is genuine RMS watts and not PMPO or whatever imaginary qualifier is used to multiply wattages by anything up to 100? The RCF PA speakers I use are 1400W peak, 700W RMS apiece and give a maximum SPL at 1m of 129dB.

1200W giving 101dB is pathetic.
Reply to
Mike Fleming