Cables behind kitchen units or around window?

Units along bottom of wall, window in wall.

Currently cabling for kitchen sockets runs around the window casing, i've never been a fan of this. Does this meet regs and if not does it matter if it isn't new work?

Anyway, i'm thinking of getting shut and having cabling behind the units but obviously I can't run horizontally, so the questions that I the answers to are 'yes' but checking,

Given that the cable will not be concealed is it ok for it to run around the room at floor level (so i don't need to notch the units) and go up and down to/from the sockets?

And it is really necessary to tack it to the wall?

Reply to
R D S

No, and I don't think has done in recent decades.

It matters to the extent that some tree-butcher is likely to nail a plank through it.

Yes

I put conduits up to the sockets, which is handy as I'm just now rejiggling things to put a boiler stat cable up a socket conduit without having to reopen the wall.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

yes

no

Huh? This is the problem with not posting a diagram or photo.

yes

yes

yes, unless you've got proper cordgrips on the socket backboxes.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Don't be a pedant, it's obvious ;)

But thanks for the rest of the input!

Reply to
R D S

No it isnt, you said you couldnt run them horizontally. Why not?

Reply to
Alan

If the cables are concealed then it's a no. If you have a chance to sort existing problems when doing your work then do so

There is no reason you cannot run horizontally.

Yes.

No

Reply to
ARW

Learning curve and making sure the job is done properly?

Reply to
ARW

there's nothing obvious about your statement that you obviously couldn't run cables horizontally.

Bye.

Reply to
tabbypurr

OK, Tata

Oh, you came back....

They do in every single kitchen i've ever worked in, your experience may differ.

My opening statement, "Units along bottom of wall, window in wall"

Anyway, i'll let you get on....

Reply to
R D S