Cable Spec

Typical .... just bought new saw, and after a cut, put it down and it neatly fed flex into the blade ... last saw lasted 20+ years ...arrrrgh!

I am guessing this is simple 1mm2 2 core PVC insulated/pvc sheathed flex.

A new flex is over £20 .... so thinking at around £3 or less for a 3m length might as well source cable elsewhere - I can lice without a moulded plug.

Luckily it is screw fitted in the saw body ... I have new crimps - so that part OK ......... is this flex anything special ? printed on outer sheath is

IEMMEQU NF-USE-1176 H05VV-F 2X1.0mm2 N/18421 TA HSING IEC 60227 LF

Looks like a normal PVC flex to me, or does this coding specify something special on thicker sheath or low temp performance.

Reply to
rick

The useful bit of info is the "H05VV-F 2X1.0mm2"

The second bit tells you its a pair of 1mm^2 conductors. The first bit is a harmonised cable code:

So that tells you its:

H = harmonised

05 = upto 300V single phase (or 500V 3 phase) V = PVC outer insulation V = PVC inner insulation F = Flex

So all in all bog standard flex...

Nothing stopping you replacing it with something else though like a decent rubber flex that will be nicer[1] to use on a saw.

[1] More flexible, better low temperature handling, less memory of how it was coiled etc. Something like H05RN-F perhaps.
Reply to
John Rumm

It's 2 core mains flex, nothing special. You can get some from your nearest bin or go buy a bit at any electrical shop. If they ask for £20 it's time to shop elsewhere. £2 would be more realistic retail, 99p on ebay .

Rubber handles nicer, other than its high friction, but is not necessary.

FWIW

shows that it's unlikely to need 1 sq mm. Such cable size is more likely to be picked because it feels & sits better. Lighter flex is more disobedient .

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

That is, but you might as well treat it to H07RN-F which is rubber rather than PVC, nicer to have on power tools.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Well for all intents and purposes if it looks the same it probably is. The one killer I found was that the cable strain relief on mine was actually welded to the outside of the cable presumable to ease the strain and wiggle problems at the clamp in the handle. However I'm sure you can buy such things and glue it if you were bothered. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

+1 Some PVC flexs are damn awaful on a tool. I bought 10m of 3-core "Pond Flex" from B&Q which is H05RN-F to replace the nasty PVC on a couple of power tools. Far better behaved. ISTR that B&Q also sell another "rubber" cable but with a lower spec, chemical/water resistance?

The biggest gotcha is likely to be a moulded on strain relief grommet.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

never found thos hard to effectively replace.

Reply to
tabbypurr

But where do you get 2 core 1mm rubber? TLC only list 0.75mm in 2 core. All the larger sizes are 3 core only.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Its available:

John Rumm