Buying raised panel router set in the UK

Hi all,

I want to build 8 cathedral-style raised panel pine wardrobe doors to fit a built-in cupboard (each door is 2000mm high, 500mm wide).

I will need to get a raised panel router bit set, preferably with a back-cu tter, including rail and stile cutters. There are a few cheap sets on ebay and Amazon, but mostly Silverline or other similarly cheap brands, which I don't want to get (bitter experience!). The other options that I can see ar e: - Axminster - probably reasonable quality based on other cutters I have, but no back-cutter. - Rutlands - a couple of possibilities, but out of stock. - Freud/CMT - several good 2 or 3 piece sets, but I can't find any stocki sts in the UK. Quite a few US sites (Amazon or independent) stock them for about $160, but import tax and shipping adds another $60 on top. I can't fi nd any stockists in the UK with comparable prices. - Wealden Tools - no complete kits, but you can buy individual cutters. I 've no experience of them though - are they any good?

Can anyone suggest any other brands I should consider that I can get hold o f easily in the UK?

thanks,

dan.

Reply to
dwtowner

built-in cupboard (each door is 2000mm high, 500mm wide).

back-cutter, including rail and stile cutters. There are a few cheap sets on ebay and Amazon, but mostly Silverline or other similarly cheap brands, which I don't want to get (bitter experience!). The other options that I can see are:

but no back-cutter.

stockists in the UK. Quite a few US sites (Amazon or independent) stock them for about $160, but import tax and shipping adds another $60 on top. I can't find any stockists in the UK with comparable prices.

I've no experience of them though - are they any good?

easily in the UK?

I have a set from a US ebay seller (super carbide tools IIRC) that are not too bad. Significantly cheaper than most UK suppliers.

Reply to
John Rumm

back-cutter, including rail and stile cutters. There are a few cheap sets on ebay and Amazon, but mostly Silverline or other similarly cheap brands, which I don't want to get (bitter

Whats bad about cheap router bits? (I seldom use mine.)

NT

Reply to
meow2222

k-cutter, including rail and stile cutters. There are a few cheap sets on e bay and Amazon, but mostly Silverline or other similarly cheap brands, whic h I don't want to get (bitter

In my experience the go blunt very quickly, which then leads to a poor fini sh. For small one-off jobs I'd probably get the cheap ones, but with 8 big doors to build, I doubt they'll stay the course. I'd have to buy another se t to finish the job, by which point I'd have been better buying a good bran d to start with.

Also, the cheaper brands reflect the price, and the refinement is often poo r. I once bought a Silverline SCMS saw blade as I was desperate to finish a job and it was all I could get in a hurry, but it was terribly unbalanced, making the saw jump around the bench. The cut from the brand new blade was worse than the knackered Freud blade I was replacing! Of course, the compa ny that Silverline use for router bits might be different to the company th at make their saw blades, but I'd rather not take the chance.

dan.

Reply to
dwtowner

a built-in cupboard (each door is 2000mm high, 500mm wide).

cutter, including rail and stile cutters. There are a few cheap sets on eba y and Amazon, but mostly Silverline or other similarly cheap brands, which I don't want to get (bitter experience!). The other options that I can see are:

, but no back-cutter.

kists in the UK. Quite a few US sites (Amazon or independent) stock them fo r about $160, but import tax and shipping adds another $60 on top. I can't find any stockists in the UK with comparable prices.

I've no experience of them though - are they any good?

of easily in the UK?

We've used

for years and find their service very good and the cutters of professional quality. You can download their catalogue and price lists off their site.

Cheap cutters may be impossible to align in the process you are after.

Reply to
fred