Rail and Style Router Bits

I have a roman ogee rail and style router bit set that is used for making raised panel doors. However, instead of making a raised panel I just want to use 1/4 " plywood in the center. The problem is the groove cut by the router bit is 6.8 mm and the plywood is 5.3 mm in thickness. That is obviously too much play. Any suggestions.

Thanks Dave

Reply to
Jonesy

Jonesy wrote: > The problem is the groove > cut by the router bit is 6.8 mm and the plywood is 5.3 mm in thickness. > That is obviously too much play. Any suggestions.

Use a standard table saw blade set to the correct depth of cut to form a dado.

Run the piece thru the saw, then turn end for end, same side down, and run it thru again.

This will allow you to cut a dado 0.125" min, 0.250" max, depending on how you set the fence.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Do the bits have shims between the cutters? Some do, CMT for example, have thin washers as shims so you can fine-tune the fit. Maybe there's enough in the shims to take up the slack.

If that doesn't work, perhaps (and I've not tried this) you could run all the pieces through the router table and your raised panel bits. Then, fill the grooves for the panel with solid stock, then re-cut the grooves on your table saw or router table with a spiral cutter. Make sense? Like I said, I haven't tried this, but it might work.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Dembroge

Easiest solution I can think of is to find some low cost veneer or other thin wood sheeting and glue a strip of it into that 1.5" of mm space to take up the slack. Obviously, you'd want the raised panel to float, so don't glue that in.

Reply to
Upscale

I use similar bits to build radiator covers, which are filled with perforated sheet aluminum. Obviously, the sheet metal is much thinner than a any panel.

My solution? I make up a bunch of strips from the same species as the rail and stile. These strips are the thickness I need to fill, and the depth of the groove. During assembly, I apply a bit of glue to the side of the strip that's away from the panel (or metal), and install them. The panel will still move, as there is no glue on that side.

They look and work great, and are easy and fast to make as a batch. If one slips a little while the glue dries, as fast pass with sharp chisel or shoulder plane makes it all perfect.

Reply to
B A R R Y

  1. Don't use the groove cutter on the rail/stile set (that assumes it is a separate cutter), use a separate router bit the correct size or the table saw.
  2. Have the groove cutter ground to the correct size.

  1. Buy thicker plywood.

Reply to
dadiOH