Buying matching locks

The new house has four doors with matching locks. I'm not sure of the terminology, but I think they're a combined latch (the sprung bolt that withdraws from the plate in the door-frame when the handle is turned) and a deadbolt operated by a key. Thus any of the four doors can be (un)locked by the same key. Very handy, until you lose the key, but I'm not going to worry about that.

Unfortunately, the locks are only 3-lever locks and I'd really like

5-lever locks (as would my insurers, no doubt).

So, where might I buy a set of such locks that all use the same key?

James

Reply to
James Fidell

Insurers usually ask for 5 lever locks on the main entrance doors not internal doors, so are these all entrance doors or are they internal doors to the rooms.

If they are entrance doors, then any lockshop will be able to supply locks of any lever configuration all keyed the same.

Reply to
BigWallop

A good locksmiths will be able to 'Key alike' the locks of your choice.

Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

Those are sash locks.

All having the same key is known as keyed alike.

Any good locksmith. I would also recommend buying locks that meet BS 3621, which are classed as thief resistant. If you buy Europrofile locks, you only have to get the locksmith to change the insides of the cylinder if you lose the key, but they do require a different shape hole through the door from a lever lock. Another advantage of Europrofile is that you can also get keyed alike cylinder padlocks, which I use on my garden gates. Again, your locksmith will be able to advise you.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

My local lock shop did this for me - took a week or 2 as they had to be ordered.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

.... and if you're looking for an online retailer then you could try

and the magic phrase you would be looking for is "keyed alike"

Reply to
Mike Hall