Building Control Response Time

Hi all

Those of you following previous threads on cooker circuit diversity will know that I am currently trying to clarify an issue with an electrical inspector over diversity and its applications to cooker installations. I have sent an email which fairly clearly states the facts of the case to the inspector himself and I am awaiting a response from this. With the help of John R and Adam W in this group, a further email has been drafted which is intended for the inspector's boss.

So the question is - how long should I reasonably give the inspector to respond before going over his head? ISTR that someone here mentioned 2 days for a BC response, but I'm not sure of the reference for that and whether it applies across all councils. I am working with the East Riding of Yorkshire Council, but their faqs dont mention a response time. Where is this fixed, if at all?

Thanks

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Don't get me started on ERYC - ask for his qualifications while you are about it. :-(

Reply to
cynic

You would need to look at your council's customer care standards. Up to five days is the norm for some kind of response, even a holding response or an out-of-office reply. If you haven't had a reply by then, certainly escalate it to his manager.

However, in the world of local government, don't expect very many people to be in in March. Every council I've worked for has their leave years from April to March, and many require you to use all your leave before the end of March otherwise you lose it. Hence the reason I'm typing this whilst sitting in my deckchair.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

"cynic" wrote

Don't get me started on ERYC - ask for his qualifications while you are about it. :-(

So have you had an electrical inspection by ERYC, or are your issues building related?

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Does your work email give an auto reply that you are away from work?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I wouldnt even consider involving BC with any of my wiring work since it was all complete prior to the introduction of part P (honest). My gripes do not relate to BC dept. Now as to Highways, Rights of Way, Drainage, etc etc etc how long have you got?

Reply to
cynic

I will be out of the office from 19/03/2011 to 4/04/2011. If you require a response before then, please contact Fred Bloggs on (0nnn) nnn nnnn, who will tell you that it's not his area, he can't find the file, or he'll leave it for me to look into it.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

More time off than teachers then:-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

"cynic" wrote

I wouldnt even consider involving BC with any of my wiring work since it was all complete prior to the introduction of part P (honest). My gripes do not relate to BC dept. Now as to Highways, Rights of Way, Drainage, etc etc etc how long have you got?

The reason I ask about involvement of ERYC and wiring is that the guy who is inspecting my work appears to have a reputation. Following the recent tweat case, and the on-going communication I have with the guy, it would obviously not be wise/appropriate to name names.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

"Hugo Nebula" wrote

Interesting

The only response I get from a sent message when requesting a delivery receipt is: "Delivery to these recipients or groups is complete, but no delivery notification was sent by the destination server:"

Which presumably means that they are either deliberately blocking requests for receipt acknowledgement, or their systems are not "Microsoft communication compatible" IYSWIM.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

'delivery receipt' is not the same as 'auto-reply/out of office message'. I always disable the 'delivery receipt' feature in Thunderbird. The great advantage of mail is that I decide if and when I want to receive the message

Reply to
djc