Builders PVA, same as PVA wood glue?

I,ve got nearly 5lt of builders PVA (Cementone) and am wondering if it is the same as normal PVA woodglue? smalls and looks the same!! I could do with using it to glue the edges of the 22mm chip flooring. On that subject, I have measured a way to have the boards short edges sitting on a joist for the entire span, it will mean leaving a 25mm gap at the first wall for expansion insteat of the recommended 10mm, I suppose I could just fill the gap with sommat or put a fillet in there.

Reply to
Staffbull

It is. Bottle it in fairy liquid containers or similar. It keeps a very long time out of the air and frost. It might skim over in an opened large can.

IIRC the boards are 600mm wide. So cut a fillet to the second joist leaving the 10 mm gap. Put thick rubber foam in the gap and bring it up behind the skirting an inch or so (the plasterboard reaching down to it.)

You might want to tack that in place, no-one ever does. But it would make fitting the skirting a lot easier.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

I've oft wondered the same thing myself; however are you sure? Eg, if you take a look at one supplier - Screwfix - the dearest version of 'PVA' appears to be this one:

out at 15.24 GBP/litre; whereas this one:
in at only 1.40 GBP/litre. That's a big difference to account for a cute brand name and some economies of scale.

David

Reply to
Lobster

And this

?_dyncharset=UTF-8&howMany=15&searchText=22952&x=8&y=9is £3.58 a litre .

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

?_dyncharset=UTF-8&howMany=15&searchText=22952&x=8&y=9> is £3.58 a litre .

That product, marketed as glue, ostensibly might be considered identical to the 1.40/litre stuff I mentioned: however if you look at the COSHH sheets on the Screwfix listings, apparently the glue version also contains aluminium chloride. FWIW - no idea what the significance of that is!

David

Reply to
Lobster

> working out at 15.24 GBP/litre; whereas this one:

?_dyncharset=UTF-8&howMany=15&searchText=22952&x=8&y=9> is £3.58 a litre .

Dont know about other brands,but the evo-stick wood glue and evo-bond PVA are both the same.

I should know..the fire surrond I built was glued together with evo-bond PVA and I hit a knot with the router on lower back rail and it shattered the wood,so had to replace that section and was a bugger trying to seperate what was left of the back rail from the left and right upright post. In the end had chop out as much to the joints as possible and use a chisle to get the remains off. :-(

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

No, but not enough difference to notice. It's certainly usable.

Make sure you keep it frost free.

Reply to
dingbat

So what if anything is the difference between different brands of PVA?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

?_dyncharset=UTF-8&howMany=15&searchText=22952&x=8&y=9>> is £3.58 a litre .

I have a large container of builders pva that bought from a BM a while back and the label says it can also be used as wood glue

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Cheers gent's, just what I wanted to hear :-)

Reply to
Staffbull

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Just as well as I have been using a 6l tub of the stuff I got from Wicks as glue for a while now.

It sticks just the same as other PVA glue I have used AFAICT.

Its not water proof though.

Reply to
dennis

Very little. Some builders PVA may be far more dilute though - so its half water if you like..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I bought 500ml in the pound shop, mainly because I needed the nice clean spout. Same consistency as EvoStik and the rest, but that isn't always an indication of solids content.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Mine too, althoguh it does say to thin with water for glueing wood.

Reply to
adder1969

Concentration and components. In particular the woodworking-specific white PVA glues are often a mix of PVA and aliphatic resins (the "yellow glues"). You may also find additives to reduce "chalking" (poor performance at low temperature), to reduce the quick drying when exposed to air in an open bottle, borax to improve initial tack, or PVA (polyvinyl alcohol this time) to make a "finer" and less viscous glue for modelmaking.

Builders' PVA has none of these - it's just plain cheap PVA. Sometimes there are anti-frost additives.

I normally use hide glue for woodworking. When I use PVA it's either Titebond II or cheap builders' PVA for biscuits and some veneering (applied cold, dried then hot pressed)

Reply to
dingbat

thanks for a good explanation there.

I tested some cheap by-the-gallon PVA on wood a couple of days ago, stuck 2 strips together (without clamping them) and after a couple of days whacked them over a stone till something broke to see what the comparative strengths of wood and pva were, and test the glue to wood bond. I was surprised to find it behaved as well as I could expect any standard wood glue to do, in some areas the glue gave way and in some it was the wood that gave first. From now on I'll use the basic PVA when theres no need for moisture resistance, which is the one thing it clearly cant handle.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

thanks for the experiment!! it's being used today to put the bedroom floor down :-)

Reply to
Staffbull

PVA is strong and there's almost nothing an additive can do to improve this. The additives make it more usable, not stronger.

Reply to
dingbat