PVA in cement

I saw someone putting a dollop of PVA into some cement he was mixing.

What's that do then?

Reply to
Guy King

It makes the mortar tougher. It can also increase adhesion. It's also almost always not needed, often not desirable.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

The message from Chris Bacon contains these words:

What would make it undesirable?

Reply to
Guy King

What it does is make the grains of sand slide over each other a little, this 'plasticising' the mix, and also , if its a fairly weak (low cement) mix fills up the gaps between the grains and stops water soaking in quite as much.

I.e. reduces porosity and 'waterproofs' the mix.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In reality it serves no purpose whatsover.

Most victorian properties have been up a hundred years,there was no PVA then. :-)

/awaits the antagonist.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

IME nothing - PVA is a great additive, it plasticises, and improves adhesion significantly. If you add enough of it, you end up with a relatively non-porous finish.

Reply to
Grunff

Extra cost.

Reduced porosity.

Increased bond strength

Increased hardness of mortar.

The last three can be good as well as bad. It depends on the circumstances. The last I heard, which was about 10 years ago, there were some concerns about the effect of exposure to damp on mortars containing PVA admixtures. I don't know what the outcome was.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I agree - I lob it in every mix.

Reply to
Steve Walker

It would become a PITA to remove from the facework even with brick acid. It is used in self leveler. If you are using it in a grout it will stop it spalling or failing through drying too quickly.

You can use it in small mixes that you make just for patching. It's a waste of time and money in large jobs.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Actually, you can only use a relatively small amount of PVA in mortar which is going to be exposed to moisture, or it will cause the PVA/mortar to eventually fail. You only need a small amount anyway -- something like a teaspoon per shovel load of cement to get maximum effect. If you need any more than this in circumstances where the mortar is going to be exposed to moisture e.g. to make up some sort of bonding mix, then you must use EVA (which is sold as waterproof PVA, although it's not strictly PVA). SBR is another alternative suitable for moist conditions (Lafarge's helpline suggested it to me on one occasion), but not having tried it myself, I don't know which of PVA's various properties it imparts to the mortar.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

IME SBR doesn't mix with mortar in the way that pva does. Prefers its own company and has to be constantly re-mixed to stop it separating out. Both work better as a seal applied to the surface rathet than as an admix

Reply to
Stuart Noble