PVA as a sealer - drying time on plywood?

Paint on PVA sealed surfaces often fails to adhere well. Doesn't "key" to the smooth impervous surface.

Reply to
harryagain

Folks,

Rebuilding a caravan, rain due tomorrow, must finish get window seals on tonight as nowhere to store it undercover.

On 3.6mm bare ply which I have coated with a 50/50 mix of PVA and water, how long before I can paint that plywood please?

Thanks JP

Reply to
Jon Parker

If using a water based paint, as soon as is the pva is touch dry. For a solvent based paint it needs to be bone dry

Reply to
stuart noble

"Keys" to glass well enough :-)

Reply to
stuart noble

The pain manufacturers commonly recommend doing so, presumably for that reason. I use PVA neat, though.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

but not to slick pva. Its ok if you don't put too much on, but its easily overdone.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

There's nothing to stop you scuffing it up a bit with a piece of say 240 grit wet or dry; doesn't take 5 mins/sq mtr.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Yes there is. PVA on plaster can't be counted on to form a uniform slick, so sanding will break up the plaster surface. And why wuold one create such unnecessary work?

Only in newsgroups & fora do such questions get discussed.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Eh?? What's plaster got to do with it? This thread's about PVA on plywood and that's what my remark was addressing.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I should have been a bit more precise. I only use PVA as a foundation for painting wood which is going into bathrooms and other wet areas.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

When I've used it as a primer its usually been to hold the substrate together, which means plaster.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

it's water soluble

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

As are a lot of modern paints - until they dry out.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

For applying further plaster, fine. But for painting over raw substrate I'd sooner use a proper stabilising solution.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

how is that better?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Specifically formulated for such purposes!

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

PVA is the basis of many different products, all allegedly specially formulated. Mostly bollocks I suspect. I mixed Gyproc joint filler and neat pva to finish off a job at the weekend because I couldn't be bothered to go out for a single cartridge of Gripfil.

Reply to
stuart noble

that doesn't tell us how its better, or even if its better

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

tonight as nowhere to store it undercover.

how long before I can paint that plywood please?

A friend said a tip for putting down ply which will get wet (in my case the base of a trailer) is to just seal the edges with PVA. Product advise to s eal was with a 1 to 3 mix with water. The edge is quite thirsty and when it s done still leaves a roughness for purchase of the paint. I kind of agree about pva on a smoothish surface taking any paint off because the paint may not penetrate the pva'd surface - a thinned coat of paint on the untreated ply seems to the best way to get subsequent paint to adhere.

Reply to
schetrumpf