British understatement.

None of the faffing around there was with the tumble driers. Still, can you imagine "we recommend you only use the fridge/freezer when you are in the home"...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Does this model use Iso-Butane refrigerant?

Reply to
Graham.

I also have wondered what caught alight.

Being frost-free, it has got heaters in it, although the Hotpoint I checked a few months ago, the heaters were about 24W.

An electrical fault could set light to plastic. It probably also uses PIR thermal insulation.

Can't find anything online which says what refrigerant it uses. If anyone has one, it may be shown as an R, usually on a sticker on the rear or on the compressor.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

alan_m

Carefully worded by their lawers, I would expect.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

"customers have flooded consumer information boards and suppliers for years with concerns over the fridge freezer on how noisy it was a night and problems with fuses blowing."

I was defrosting my fridge (not Hotpoint) today and noticed the PE plastic symbol on the insde of the door. I think I'll move the cornflakes boxes and bottles of whisky a bit further away.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Exactly what I was wondering... I downloaded the user manual, but that doesn't mention.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Link works better without your sig stuck to the end.

Tim+

I'd forgotten that Hotpoint is on the list of brands I won't buy. (Yes, I know they no longer signify much.)

Why do you keep cornflakes and bottles of whisky in the fridge?

:o)

Reply to
Huge

Weasel words.

Even this is more practical.

Graham.

To keep them cold.

Reply to
bert

There were 240 volt wires on my old fridge freezer feeding the heater on th e front left door. They broke. The whole door was replaced under guarantee. The replacement wires broke too. I phoned Hotpoint again, but there was a new engineer locally that I had to contact and the whole thing was a bit of a faff, and I left it for a while. I sat down at the pc one night to find out where the wires came from with the plan of just removing them. The snap ped wires were exposed and there was plenty metal visable to be touched, or to short out. Found instead that there was a recall on the model. I got a new fridge within the week free from Hotpoint. When the heater was broken, there was never any condensation on the door, t hat was the reason I was given for the heater. The problem was predictable, and should have been solved before one fridge was made.

Reply to
misterroy

R600 is iso-butane. The old (10 to 15 years) fridge freezer is R600, the new one is R600. I think most, if not all, domestic fridges, freezers, fridge/freezers use R600.

Digging through the Hotpoint Spares, site only one compressor is listed for all fridges, freezers, or fridge/freezers. It's an R600 one...

Oh the heaters for the FF175Bx are 120 ish W with thermal fuses of 72 C or 80 C.

Be interesting to know what the initial cause was. Built in 1974, how mnay sockets in the kitchen? Extensions, splitter plugs, cables trapped behind appliances... Statements from the fourth floor flat owner and the fire crew that attended that fire will shed a lot of light on that.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Still does not work for me.

Reply to
FMurtz

Some time ago, I was told by a bloke that many fridge freezers with the corrugated covers had overheating issues and the material burned. Now my Fridgmaster (a made up name if ever I heard one) has this but having a grope behind, it seems as cool as a cucumber to me, so I doubt its going to be an issue. In the old days fridge's used to have the condenser tubing on the back, but it seems modern ones do not use the design any more. I assume these condenser is not underneath to help evaporate the self defroster tray etc, but Its so bloody heavy I've never tried to look! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It would be safer to use it only when *not* in the home.

Safer for the owner, anyway.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Worked for me via Outlook Express invoking Firefox.

Reply to
Dave W

The header says he's using SeaMonkey.

Reply to
The Other John

I keep batteries and photographic film in mine.

When in Fiji I kept my (unnecessary) leather shoes that I wore on the trip out in the bottom of the fridge, to stop them going mouldy in the intense Suva humidity.

Reply to
Andrew