Britannia oven door hinge

Hi,

Some friends of mine have a Brittania range-style cooker. The oven door hinge has broken and they're having trouble finding anyone to fix it for them. They have managed to get the spare parts but they can't get anybody to come out and look at it for less than =A3100. I offered to take a look and maybe fix it for them.

Has anybody had any experience with these things? A quick glance showed that the door hinge has two parts - the hinge itself and there is the spring loaded part that holds the door in position. It's the second part that has snapped. I couldn't see how to get at the fixing point - the spring arm seem to 'emerge' from a hole in the steel facia of the oven. I'm thinking now that this might be a fiddly and difficult job - it may mean dismantling the whole oven.

Any thoughts?

cheers

Jeremy

Reply to
Jezzer

Some friends of mine have a Brittania range-style cooker. The oven door hinge has broken and they're having trouble finding anyone to fix it for them. They have managed to get the spare parts but they can't get anybody to come out and look at it for less than £100. I offered to take a look and maybe fix it for them.

Has anybody had any experience with these things? A quick glance showed that the door hinge has two parts - the hinge itself and there is the spring loaded part that holds the door in position. It's the second part that has snapped. I couldn't see how to get at the fixing point - the spring arm seem to 'emerge' from a hole in the steel facia of the oven. I'm thinking now that this might be a fiddly and difficult job - it may mean dismantling the whole oven.

Any thoughts?

cheers

Jeremy

a.. Spare parts and accessories b.. Please call 01253 471111 Option 4 c.. Or email snipped-for-privacy@britannialiving.co.uk or try

John

It's the second part that has snapped. I couldn't see how to get at the fixing point - the spring arm seem to 'emerge' from a hole in the steel facia of the oven. I'm thinking now that this might be a fiddly and difficult job - it may mean dismantling the whole oven.

I think you could be right. My Kenwood has a door which wasn't closing properly and I couldn't find any useful way in short of a major strip.However I was able to put a wedge in near the hinge to sort it, not applicable in your case.

Reply to
Newshound