Barns and Insurance

Anyone on list got extensive outbuildings and / or barns? If so what do you do about fabric insurance? I'm in the final throws of buying a place that has three barns (one brick with a slate roof of 2000 sq foot, and two open pole barns totalling 3000 sq foot). I'm about to start ringing round for insurance quotes but would appreciate the benefit of others experience.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Try farm insurers.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Ask a surveyor or experienced builder to estimate the costs of rebuilding and inform the property underwriter of that and the types of construction. You might also invest in up-to-date lightning protection and fire sensors with alarms which repeat in the main house to reduce the likelihood and the extent of fire damage. If you live in a rural area all the local brokers will be familiar with the issues. You might also ask the seller, the real estate agent and your solicitor for their advice. The last two of those may well also be agents for this type of cover.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony R. Gold

We insure ours through NFU Mutual (National Farmers Union).

Jeff

NFU Mutual - either direct or via the local ( usually very helpful) agent.

You may want to look at using NFU Mutual for your house insurance - not the cheapest but there is unlikely to be any problems with barns etc on the property and mixed use of property and land. Robert

Reply to
robert

rebuilding

construction.

local

Would that be the Tony Gold who had a roll of yellow thick ethernet cable off me YONKS ago?

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

NFU insurance.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yup, a remnant on a drum and the vampire tap holes came for free :-)

Hi again Andrew

Reply to
Anthony R. Gold

ethernet

That must be ten years ago ! I'm abandoning the rest of the reel (installed) in the house I'm leaving - not much call for thick ethernet these days

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I bet that most people reading this wouldn't have any idea as to what a vampire tap is......

Reply to
Andy Hall

On this newsgroup I wouldn't be surprised if a significant minority knew.

(I only threw away the three or four I had left last year. Oh, the joys of using a TDR to find the short circuits...)

Reply to
Huge

Some of us would...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The message from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

And some of us wouldn't but a quick google was all it needed.

Reply to
Roger

Some people here are probably still running 20mA current loop...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

..what ... is there a new way ????

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

0-20mA and 4-20mA current loop systems are still current (boom, boom :o) ) for use in data acquisition (as it happens).
Reply to
Bob Mannix

CLIP - current loop internet protocol :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I suppose from a down to earth viewpoint there isn't much pressure to change, or potential for improvement.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

We used to use (and 'they' still do) loads of current loop interfaces in process plant when I was in that line with Ferranti. Very high noise imunity, which can be important in a very electrically noisy environment like they usually were !

AWEM

ps NFU have given me a very acceptable quote, so thanks for all who suggested them

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Issues which aren't usually important in the ohm environment.

Owain

Reply to
Owain