Bricks above Patio door

Hello, need a bit of advice. We've moved into a house that had its windows replaced with uPVC units in 1992. They did a bit of a bodge job and filled everything with Silicon beading by the looks of things.

Anyway, above all the Windows/Patio Doors, on the outside walls of the house, is a row of bricks laid vertically. However, the ones on the Patio have sunk slightly onto the uPVC Patio door and they are wobbly if you climb up there and rock them to and fro. There is also a slight gap/crack in the mortar between the tops of the vertical bricks and the bottom of the first normal horizontal course of bricks.

Can someone tell me, will there be a lintel hidden somewhere above the vertical bricks above patio door ? There is no sign of one from the outside. I'm just wondering if the row of vertical bricks has settled onto the Patio door and all the bricks above won't be going anywhere ?

Thanks, Tim.

Reply to
Tim Jenkins

I suspect your house is pre 1970 construction in that the inner leaf of the cavity wall has a lintol probably concrete and the outer skin had a soldier course built into the top of the old window frame. If that is the case then there will not be a lintol above the door holding the bricks up Either repoint them and hope, Get a pice of100 x 100 angle, cu out the bricks above with a support then insert the angle on to the frame with a 150 bearing onto the bricks eac side or get a metal lintol Catnic, IG or similar and replace both skins The choice is yours

Reply to
Mike Taylor

Cheers Mike. You're spot on, it's a 1969 built house ! Think I'll got for the 100x100 angle - sounds the easiest. Many thanks. Tim.

Reply to
Tim Jenkins