Bloody hell it's hot

Rubbish. My brother has been stopped by the police for exactly that...in a 30mph limit.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Quite, ditto. dennis lives on another planet that I have not yet figured where it exists.

Reply to
Clot

Ive exceeded the speed limit on a bike easily.

Overtook a van coming down the north downs as a boy. I glanced at his speedo. It read 38mph. Give or take..may have been less sue to the angle of sight..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ignorance is no defense.

Theres an old anecdote about e American in an ageing Model -T pulled up for having no working speedo, to which he replied that he had a perfectly reasonable way of assessing speed

"At 10mph, the hood starts to shake, at 20mph, I get a wobble in the steering, at 30mph I get the doors rattling, and 40mph is as fast as the old bus will go"

;-)

Sound bollocks to me.

Indeed. Though few ever do.

IIRC someone was even hauled up for exceeding the 30mph speed limit on a horse..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I wasn't aware it was possible, technically, for a cyclist to exceed the speed limit as they don't have speedometers - and therefore have no way of knowing what speed they're doing.

This from a news item about a 10mph speed limit on a seafront promenade in Bournemouth:

"But despite launching their 'crackdown', the officials in Bournemouth have no powers to punish speeding cyclists with fines, because offenders do not have speedometers and so are unaware of breaking the law."

I don't think the highway code specifically addresses cyclists with regard to the speed limits - though it does say that they should obey 'all traffic signs'.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Technically, no. But he wasstill dangerous, and I suspect there's a 'reckless use of cycle' or some such.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I am an extremely unfit person and can exceed the 30 limit - I just can't do it for long!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I'm pretty sure that speed limits cannot be directly enforced on cyclists, but there are offences of "dangerous cycling" or "careless cycling" that can be used in these circumstances.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

In message , "dennis@home" writes

I can easily break the speed limit on a bike - just not a pushbike

I know several annoyingly fit peddlars who can though

Lined with tin foil, is it ?

Reply to
geoff

Try a steep hill (going down of course).

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

..and no mention at all of what a bunch of free loading cheapskates they are.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Either pedlars..dubious purveyors of goods or pedallers.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It wouldn't be if it were mandatory to have speedometers on bicycles - but it isn't, and therefore you'd first have to prove that every cyclist was capable of determining their speed by other means.

It was a joint operation between the council and the police - and I doubt that the police would pass up a chance to dish out a few fines. This quote appears to clarify it further:

"Although there are no penalties available, those behind the initiative hope it will make cyclists take more care when cycling between Hengistbury Head and Sandbanks."

Some further debate:

Stephen Howard

Ignorance of the law or ones state with respect to it has never been a defense.

I still don't think that its impossible to prosecute a cyclist for speeding: Just that they chose not to, and someone in ignorance gave that as a reason.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It was an intentional spelling - just a little inside joke you aren't privy to

And ... NP having the audacity to pull others up for spelling is a bit rich IMO

Reply to
geoff

Define speeding, particularly WRT which act or bylaw you believe they're breaking, and you get your answer. In some places it is possible to prosecute a cyclist for breaking a speed limit, in most it isn't.

Reply to
Clive George

Something of a tricky one then. If asked in court "What speed were you doing?", your answer could be "I do not know, I have no means of knowing and there is no legal obligation for me to have a device fitted to my bicycle which would indicate my speed. I estimate I was doing 5 MPH ( M'lud )".

I haven't found any reference to anyone being prosecuted for speeding on a bicycle:

From a letter to The Times

"Wheels under fire" From His Honour Patrick Halnan

Sir, I write as one who frequently cycled to court. My fellow cyclists may like to know that as long as they do not cycle "dangerously", "furiously", "carelessly" or "without reasonable consideration" they can cycle as fast as they like.

The offence of "speeding" can, in law, only be committed by drivers of motor vehicles.

I remain Sir, a happy cyclist.

Yours truly, PATRICK HALNAN, 33 Rotherwick Way, Cambridge. November 5."

This quote from someone who sent a letter to the Police asking for clarification:

"For the offence of speeding it has to be a motor vehicle. A different offence could be used for a cyclist eg furious / wanton cycling, or cycling without due care."

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Oh dear what an ignorant clot.. what exactly is the cycle speed limit on a forest path? I will give you a clue.. I know of no one that can exceed it on a cycle.

Reply to
dennis

I do have a device fitted.. a holux gps 245. But as the clipstone forest doesn't have speed limits its irrelevant.

Its main use is as a data logger to record speed, direction and position every second. It makes adding gps info to photos easy.

Reply to
dennis

Oh dear...having been proved wrong, he's wriggling as usual...

Reply to
Bob Eager