Bloody hell it's hot

Partner uses a wine bottle cooler (one of those things that have gel pouches that you freeze) to keep her feet bearable.

We both wear bamboo socks - without doubt cooler to wear than any other textile we have encountered.

But a/c below the belt is *really* appealing at the moment...

Reply to
Rod

In message , Tim S writes

Stop wingeing

Reply to
geoff

geoff wibbled:

No! It's my time of the month. Come here and I'll donk you with my handbag...

BTW - what's "bumsnase"?

Reply to
Tim S

In message , Tim S writes

Fucknose

... literally

Reply to
geoff

Umm it's all of 29C which is just warm rather than hot. It's cool verging on chilly in my living room, but the external walls here are between four and five bricks thick and the rear wall is ten bricks thick, so there's "quite a bit" of thermal mass.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Bit more than that here at present. 31C in through lounge (north/south) with patio door open and windows open at the other end. Usually the coldest room in the house, (t'other side is outside east facing).

The last time I recall this being a serious pain was coming back from Hangzhou (where I was sleeping in an A/C hotel room) in July 06 when I could not even try to get to sleep until 2 or 3 in the morning.

Reply to
Clot

Before we started on the building work in Italy, the only place to sleep was on the top floor, with an uninsulated clay tile roof overhead. Even with the windows open all night, temperature in the bedroom could exceed

45C. Sleep was impossible and I used to drive around in the 4x4 with aircon on full just to get down to a reasonable body temperature.

Fortunately the new barn has a massive concrete slab floor and very thick thermal block walls so we sleep in the "summer kitchen" when temperatures get up to 30C+.

I envy my neighbour who has a Masseria which is made with walls as thick as a castle. It's cool and comfortable in summer and warm in winter with only an open fire as a heat source.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I remember it being like that in the middle of Oz, too. Same deal - I used to just go and burn some fuel in the truck purely for the purpose of running the aircon. I was backpacking at first, but lugging camping crap around on foot in those sorts of temps gets old fast :-) (it often cooled off by evening, so sleeping in a tent wasn't so bad - it was hot, but not a patch on the mid-afternoon heat)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

You inconsiderate person generating more heat that I am suffering from! As I type, next to the N facing window which is open having closed the patio door, here is a wonderous cool draught coming through the window and up the chimney. I am refreshed, but oh hell will that stop me gettting to sleep?

Nos da!

Reply to
Clot

It's 20C inside my house. And it's the middle of winter here in New Zealand. Global warming has started! The sea doesn't look any higher.

Reply to
Matty F

Apparently it was so hot yesterday that gentlemen at the Henley regatta were given permission to remove thier jackets!

Ceiling fans in every room are the way forward.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Edinburgh shown as the hottest place in the UK according to this

it was seriously hot. Considering the east coast regularly suffers from the east coast haar under these type of weather conditions, such heat is pretty unusual round here.

Reply to
Rob G

Maxie, as usual you hit the nail on the head. Fantastic!! Such insight. It isn't hot as all. It is just nice. It cools at night and if they left the windows open and the house cooled off, the fabric would absorb the heat during the day. I bet none use blinds and know how to use them. Leaving an extractor fan on during the cool night helps.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Fantastic Maxie! Fantastic!

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You only need one brick thick and the heat penetrates only about 4" during the day and then moves back the other way as it cools during the night.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Why are you letting the heat in from outside? Close the windows draw the curtains keep the heat out during the day. Open them at night if it gets cool enough outside.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

At night, our house cools off quickly downstairs, but upstairs holds the heat since the air is trapped. A great big fan sucking air out of the ceiling and roof would sort that problem very easily. Simon.

Reply to
Simon

I'm certainly glad I put my cooling system in. Its delivering the highest temp I've ever seen this summer, but the end result is a huge improvement on the temps I used to suffer through, and its acceptable. Must get the wiki article on it finished some time, but it needs some pretty major editing.

NT

Reply to
NT

That's because it's still at sea level.