Beeping 3-pin mains plug?

I would like to get hold of a 3-pin mains plug that emits a beeping sound while mains poer is passing through it.

(I keep forgetting to switch my George Foreman Grill off!!)

Has anyone seen sich an item? I was surprised to find that there was nothing like this that I could find by searching...

Many thanks,

Al

Reply to
AL_n

Can't think of many people who would want continual beeping ! How about something like this ?

Andy Cap

Andy Cap wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

I had thought about the timer option... It's more money than I was planning to pay out. but if I can't get a beeping plug, that ?12 timer probably would pay for itself after a while. That's if it can really handle the wattage of my grill ghizmo...

Many thanks

Al

Reply to
AL_n

Surely the clouds of black smoke are a good enough reminder?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I think these generally can handle 3kw. There are cheaper ones, but generally for a fixed time, eg 30 mins. Would that do?

Reply to
GB

It happens that AL_n formulated :

It doesn't solve your problem, but I have several printers in an upstairs room controlled by a remote controlled mains switch, with the printers on the LAN. I usually print from downstairs, switch on remotely and used to forget to turn them off. Into the multi-outlet

13amp sockets, I plugged a Martindale socket tester. While ever the printers are on, I can just about hear the whistle from the tester as a reminder to switch it off.
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

We have a 30 minute one from Aldi (was on a 'special' a while back, so likely to reappear), that we use on the iron.

Reply to
Jim Newman

GB wrote in news:ma8b48$s06$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Yes, 30 minutes is ample. The cooking time I need is always less than ten minutes.

Al

Reply to
AL_n

Bill Wright wrote in news:ma88ro$9q3$1 @speranza.aioe.org:

It doesn't quite get hot enough to cause actual flames and smoke. I sometimes detect a slight smell of overcooked food, and go down and find that my cod fillets have ben turned into something resembling scorched boot leather...

Al

Reply to
AL_n

Have you considered using a kitchen timer to alert you when the food should be cooked?

Reply to
Nightjar

Mine has a timer built in. You have to set it to something to fire it up - so it will always turn off if left.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm confused now. I thought you meant left on after use - not left on for too long while cooking. And if you go upstairs, it would have to be a pretty loud bleep...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've used one of these for several year, very pleased:

Mike Barnes

Nightjar wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Yes I often do that but sometimes I, er.. forget!

Al

Reply to
AL_n

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk:

I usually leave it one *after* cooking. Hunger usually reminds me that I've put something on to cook. I don't do it every time, but when I do, it can be expensive, like when I discovered it after four hours, or worse.

Al

Reply to
AL_n

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk:

Yes, that's what I thought mine would have, but apprently not. I bought mine in a charity shop, so it's possible that it has a built-in timer that stopped working at some point.

Al

Reply to
AL_n

Thats seem the best solution rather than faffing about with mains one shot time switches. Only a couple of quid, take it with you, reminds you when the food is ready. I can envisage that a mains timer will result in the food being cooked, forgotten about and rediscovered cold...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Put the timer onto the grill, so that you have to pick it up to open the grill. If you manage to forget it in that situation, you are probably past hope.

Reply to
Nightjar

Simple then: put your food under the grill and make love to your wife 3 times.

:)

Reply to
Bob Neumann

I haven't quite worked out why the OP does not simply turn the grill off immediately *before* taking his food out? That way round, he won't forget, and it costs nothing.

Reply to
GB