table saws....

Had a goggle about including posts passim.

Pingtek have 2 -

Anyone care to critique these / recommend others in the sub 200 bracket?

TIA

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

At a quick glance, I would say both are complete non starters alas....

Looks nice in some respects - the sliding table etc, However if you look at the way the fence moves and clamps, it appears to run on the round bar that sticks out of the front RHS. It basically means you can't get the fence close to the blade for narrow rips etc.

That one looks more conventional - with a front rail and fence that rides along it. But it almost has the opposite problem - the fence rail is tiny in length and does not even extend the width of the extension tables - hence you can't make use of that extra space.

If you could stretch the budget a little bit, then:

Looks like a better all round bet - better fence, usable table space and outfeed support as well.

Reply to
John Rumm

/

Looks nice in some respects - the sliding table etc, However if you look at the way the fence moves and clamps, it appears to run on the round bar that sticks out of the front RHS. It basically means you can't get the fence close to the blade for narrow rips etc. /

That would mean all the measurements on the sloped edge of the main body are 'just for show'?

I'd hope the fence would unclamp from whatever its clamped to on the end of the round bar and would reposition on the 'main deck' or whatever its called to allow narrower rips utilising the main scale along the edge....

/

That one looks more conventional - with a front rail and fence that rides along it. But it almost has the opposite problem - the fence rail is tiny in length and does not even extend the width of the extension tables - hence you can't make use of that extra space. /q

Mmmm that doesn't look too thought out does it.....

/If you could stretch the budget a little bit, then:

Looks like a better all round bet - better fence, usable table space and outfeed support as well. /q

Looks like a contender

Cheers

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Perhaps - but its not obvious from the picture how it works. Looking at the fence clamp it seems to be folded over at the top - suggesting it locates over the top of the scale and into a slot. It may be there is a slot on the main casting as well, but I can't tell from the photo. (to be fair it would be odd if the fence can't move close to the blade - I have never seen one before where it could not!)

There are plenty of comparable things on ebay second hand at about £50 at the mo.

If you want a really small dinky one:

Probably worth asking what applications for it you had in mind and how much space you have for it.

Reply to
John Rumm

A small tabletop saw I could do with. But I cant see from the pics how the rail works. And 'the rip fence is fiddly and almost impossible to set and k eep parallel to the blade' makes it sound no better than the one I've got. Oh well, why are they so lousy.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Probably worth asking what applications for it you had in mind and how

It's always all about the fence. If you can't secure it back and front (albeit with clamps etc) it'll drive you crazy

Reply to
stuart noble

Yup agreed - ideally you want one that locks itself square first time every time, and only need one leaver to lock the whole thing. Basically something that copies the Biesemeyer design.

John Rumm

Make a new fence or buy a new saw, that's the question.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Bent tin tablesaws are all cr4p. They just can't get the rigidity needed for repeatable result. Even fitting a quality fence won't help much if the mounting flexes. Something with a cast table, decent fence and an induction motor bought secondhand for around £400-500 and heavier than you can lift should perform well. Spend any less are you are almost certain to be wasting your money.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I need something carryable :/ The current small one is unimpressive in ever y respect, and overdue for replacement. I try to use other saws whenever po ssible, mostly the mitre saw. £500 isn't justifiable anyway, a tablesaw i sn't too high on my tool use priorities.

I might resort to making my own. It should be possible to combine light wit h stiff, either using a wooden honeycomb-type structure or a pressed steel table with lots of additional stiffening welded underneath, so I wonder why no manufacturer even tries it.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I wouldn't go that far. My old Elu TGS saw has an alloy bed but it's been accurate enough for me over the years. I'm no cabinet maker mind

Reply to
stuart noble

An alloy bed is cast so yes it is as decent TS maybe I went too far about the weight

Reply to
Bob Minchin

/Probably worth asking what applications for it you had in mind and how much space you have for it. /q

For now ripping 1" thick planking to size, rebating edges of same to make some ledged plank doors... I hope:-)

Cheers

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Youtube channel askwoodman did a whole series of videos on making you own fence upgrade - worth having a look at if you are contemplating it.

Reply to
John Rumm

Its well worth looking at "professional" stuff going cheap on ebay. My

1948 Unisaw only cost me about £200 second hand (then another £100 in spares!) and that is in a completely different class to any modern table saw you could buy for that kind of money.

Its often worth looking at ex industrial or business class three phase kit as well - often it does not fetch much money second hand since many home users will want single phase. However an after market single phase motor can often fix those...

Reply to
John Rumm

I've seen evidence of fearful accidents caused by mis-use of these cheap Ta iwanese saws.

Wasn't his how the whole farrago in the U.S. about compulsory use of Saw St op type saws came about ?

Reply to
fred

/secondhand for around £400-500 and heavier than you can lift should perform well. /q

Mmm so double /triple the budget (plus any repairs /3 ph conversions) AND b uild a dedicated facility??? Nah I'll take a punt thanks anyway:-)

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

replying to John Rumm, Rob wrote: Are you really doing a review of these saws by just looking at photos? I've just bought the ~S version of this saw, having done a lot of shopping around beforehand. I've has table saws before, and I must say this is the best quality one I've had at this price point. Ignore the reviews you may read about this saw shipping with a short fence, it has now been upgraded to a full length one which hooks over the back edge of the table and clamps at the front edge. It's solid, trust me. The motor has been beefed up too, originally 1600W, now 1800W. And of course the fence comes up to the blade, ridiculous to think otherwise. It has the advantage that it slides across onto the slide out table to allow for wider rips. For those on a budget, in my opinion, it's the best bang for your buck by far

Reply to
Rob

replying to John Rumm, Rob wrote: Seriously John, base your reviews on experience and not an erroneous opinion based on how you think the photo looks, you're not helping anyone. Facts based on usage

Reply to
Rob

replying to Rob, Bob wrote: You're replying over two years later. Why bother?

Reply to
Bob