bedding steel lintel

I am putting in steel lintel between 2 pillars in my garage tomorrow and putting 3 courses of bricks onto the lintel and then a wallplate to support a new pitched roof. Is it necessary to bed the lintel on mortar or is it okay straight onto brick pillars. Thanks .

Neil

Reply to
Neil

I was told

The lintel needs to sit on concrete padstones, which can be cast in place, or made from concrete common bricks or 7N blocks, assuming the load is not massive, which it does not sould like. Once these are there, put on a bed of mortar, and then the lintel. Level it all up, and add 1 row of bricks/block on top of the lintel. Now let the whole lot set for 1-2 day, before proceeding.

I put all my RSJ's in this way, it helps if the work below the padstones is solid/dried before you do this.

Rick

Reply to
Rick