Lintel choice & design for window cut into garage wall

Hello,

I wish to install a couple of windows (approx. 90cm. wide)into a single-thickness brick wall of a garage, which I want to convert into a store-room/workshop.

The garage is typical 60s design on semis: Flat roof, too small for a car.

The windows I'm thinking would be of a size that would leave only 3 courses above to the top of the wall. So I am surmising that the easiest would be to support the roof joists, remove the three courses and install a simple lintel.

But which type of lintel? I'm not an expert but it seems that this is a low-load situation and therefore a fairly minimal lintel should suffice. I have seen LA types listed. Is there a simple way to calculate or estimate the spec. needed?

Thanks for any advice.

Chris

Reply to
cskrimshire

Lintel needs to be 1.2m long. For a 4.5" wall: Either a pre-stressed concrete lintel 100mm wide or a steel box lintel for about 4 times the price.

For a 9 " wall, as above x 2

mark

Reply to
mark

single-thickness brick wall of a garage, which I want to convert into a store-room/workshop.

above to the top of the wall. So I am surmising that the easiest would be to support the roof joists, remove the three courses and install a simple lintel.

low-load situation and therefore a fairly minimal lintel should suffice. I have seen LA types listed. Is there a simple way to calculate or estimate the spec. needed?

A simple wood lintel should be more than adequate in this case. Or if the roof doesnt need the support, just a strip of pvc that looks like a lintel.

NT

Reply to
meow2222