Steam cleaner for carpets?

We have some high traffic areas that could do with a clean but not enough to justify reting a carpet doctor machine.

Are steam mops any good for this sort of job? Something like this:

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

IMHO you want a proper carpet cleaner which passes clean water and detergent through the carpet, them hoovers it up. It's amazing how much dirt they remove. Steam mops are OK for *hard* floors.

We have one of these or something very like it (Which? best buy)

newshound

How much do they cost to rent?

No, they are s**te.

If you are doing carpet washing often then a vax or similar is a good idea. Be aware the strip out Scotchguard meaning the carpet gets dirty faster.

For light and general steam cleaning we have a Kärcher SC1030 which we bought with a steam iron attachment. Cheaper than the Polti etc stuff and very well made. There's a cheaper version SC1020 which has all the tools but can't be used with an iron.

These can be used for carpets with a cloth cover on the brush to soak up the dirt. They are only good for light cleaning IMO. Brilliant for hard floors, ovens and defrosting the freezer. Also good for cleaning cars and car engines when SWMBO isn't looking.

there's a steam brush tool that can be used to fluff up the pile on wool carpets. That helps in areas where heavy traffic is compacting the pile.

For heavy soiling VAX, one of those uprights that washes carpets or rent is the best option.

Reply to
Steve Firth

We have a recirculating fluid gadget attaches to our Vax vacuum cleaner, works pretty good.

Also the white dust stuff you brush in and then hoover up works quite well. "Vanish" is it? Been on the TV lately. Expensive though.

Reply to
harryagain

Arghhh! You bastard! I've got the Shake and Vac tune stuck in my head now!

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW