Steam cleaners

Does the steam cleaners shown on Infomercial's really work as they appear to do? I'm looking at a "Scunci" Hand-Held Steamer in a Harriett Carter catalog for $59.95. Anyone have any experience with these. TIA

Reply to
Dinah

I realy cant see them as more than a new product looking for a market and dont see their worth. Just something new to spend your money on.

Reply to
m Ransley

Sure they do, on the commercial. However when you get it home, you will find that what you need to clean is not exactly what they were cleaning on the show.

Sorry there is no free lunch. If they were all that good, the pros would use them, and I have yet to see a pro use one ..... we maybe a pro salesman.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

i got a commercial steam cleaner that can clean anything... but is too big and messy to work inside the house with.. used it for cleaning a/c units years ago.. without any chemicals(soaps) it would blow away the crud in the inside of the coils on the window a/c units.. it would get rid of any grease, oil, wax, you name it the stuff looked brand new after using it.. the small hand held units ????? but i do remember years ago buying a small plastic, plug in the wall thing for steaming clothes... fill it up with about 1 pt. of water and plug it in and the steam(oh forgot you had to add salt to the water first) and you would be able to steam your clothes and it would remove the rinkles from the clothes..... it was the salt added to the water that made it steam because the boiling point of water is lower with salt in the water... so you have steam.....i think i paid about $12.00 for this thing about 35 yrs ago.. still got it, but never use it.. back then i needed something to get the rinkles out of clothes(dry clean type clothes)... dont really need it anymore...

Reply to
jim

I bought a floor roll around model from Target, on sale. It is great for the bathroom and the kitchen. It takes a couple of minutes for the steam to be produced and the unit holds about 3 cups of water. I can do both toilets and floors around the toilets with one tank of water. I am happy with mine. I had back surgery a while back and I do not carry anything unless I have to.

Reply to
SQLit

With due respect to mark and the Irish mathematician, I recently purchased a Shark steam cleaning unit. I had to see how it worked and so far so good. We have a grill on our stove and it gets caked with fat and grease. I have hit those grills with every chemical known (and safe?) to man, with varying results. I used the steam cleaner the other day and what a difference. The steam breaks up the fat and grease and you wipe it away. Takes some time but it's well worth it. Not sure about upholstery, rugs etc yet but plan on using it there soon. I am also interested in how it performs inside the shower on mould, soap scum, etc.

The only proviso I would pass along is this might be a situation of you get what you pay for. My unit cost me $149.99 Cdn and it has all sorts of attachments allowing me to do floors, etc.

good cleaning!

PS: I don't have any connection with Shark except for the fact that they now have some of my money....

Reply to
edee em

I am glad to hear that at least some of them work. I suspect the machine you bought for $149 CD was a lot different (better) than the $29.99

+SH (includes a free egg slicer if you order in 15 minutes) machine as advertised on TV that I was thinking of. I did not even know they made good consumer type machines. (Of course not knowing has seldom stopped me from commenting. ;-)
Reply to
Joseph Meehan

THere was one of those grills installed when I moved into my last house. I thought the grease situation was gross and removed the thing and replaced it with a regular oven. I do my grilling outside on a Weber grill.

Reply to
Art

I have a Shark steam machine, too. It cost $99 at Sears two years ago - so it may not be as fancy as the $149 job - but it does do a good job on several things.

Dorothy

Reply to
Dorot29701

They are a JOKE! I use steam cleaners that have 450,000 btu burners in them to clean restaurants. One manager bought one and it was ridiculous! She called and said not to come out, she bought her own steam cleaner. Then she called back a day later and asked me to come out.

HOW do they get all that steam on TV to fog up the room you ask? Well, cool the place down prior to filming, a cool room will make the steam appear to be overwhelming. Remember the steam locomotives? Very little steam showed in the summer time but in the cooler days it encompasses the entire station! Save your money, in a few months summer is going to be here, you'll see them in garage sales, CHEAP!

Reply to
Geoman

I have a similar steam cleaner and it is quite useful. It works best with a stiff brush attachment. I have had good results removing cement from ceramic tile, cleaning my boat top and getting rid of crud in tight places such as door channels. It also works well on jewellery.

said not to come

cool the place down

overwhelming. Remember the

Reply to
Dick Smyth

Amazon.com - Reviews

Here is your review the way it will appear:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------- One Star (there would be ZERO if the option was available).

Cheap China C**P, Marketing, Mail & Phone Fraud Reviewer: bruceaa3 from Carrollton, TX United States First of all, I am an advanced degreed electrical engineer. I almost never buy off TV. Caveat Emptor and all that. Well, we have a new baby, so I wanted everything really clean. I bit...and got bitten.

1) The machine spits out steam at a raging 105 decibles - comparable to a small jet engine. They used a highly directional microphone to eliminate the sound on the infomercial. 2) Now the fraud: The shipping and handling was listed on the website and by the phone salesclerk at $19.95. Arrived with S&H at $24.90 plus Texas State sales tax OVERCALCULATED at 11.7%. The real rate here is no more than 8 1/2%. 3) Tried this unit on every item as seen in the infomercial. Total failure. I suspect they pretreated the areas, or painted on the "stuff". An entire pot of water failed to remove any grease from the porcelein coated new BBQ grill I have. Ditto soap scum and mold on a sink. Ditto road grime on mag allow car wheel.

They have no real website, no email address. Had to go hunting for "Scunzi" on the 'Net. The address they list are no-name warehouse owned by "Universal Inventory, Inc." This one is just 10 minutres from me. I will investigate and then contact Consumer Affiars, the DA's office and the Postal Service, as well as make a bank chargeback..

Reply to
Ph.D. BioMechanics