Scunci Steamer

Does anyone have/use one of these (Scunci Steamer). I think I may be able to use one quite a bit around the house but have no idea of the quality. Any comments? TIA!!! :) ~Kat

"help is on the way" ~John Kerry

Reply to
Jarkat2002

That steamer is sold under many brand names. I have one with a different label on it. It works OK, but there are some serious limitations. The biggest problem is that it only holds 6 oz. of water. That doesn't last long and you have to let it cool down for about 10 minutes before you can refill it. Then you have to wait for it to come back up to temperature. The second issue is that the valve mechanism on mine tends to freeze in the closed position. You can't tell it isn't working until it comes up to temperature and then noting happens when you push the button. You have to let it cool down, disassemble it, free the mechanism, put it back together, and start over. The third issue is that the trigger can get too hot to hold. Finally, you can't lock the mechanism open for larger jobs and the trigger is on the unit. That can be a problem if you are using the hose because you have to have one hand on the unit and the other one directing the hose. I wouldn't recommend this unit but I do like cleaning with steam. Look for something with a larger tank and better features like this one:

Vox Humana

Thank you ... you have some great points :) Just the kind of info I'm looking for. The bigger one you suggested isn't all that more costly than the Scunci ... I'll have to check it out. I wish i could find them in a brick and morter store .. but so far no luck. ~Kat

"help is on the way" ~John Kerry

Reply to
Jarkat2002

YMMV, of course, but I had one of those Euro-Pros which the above link leads you to, and it lasted less than six months. It also had a number of drawbacks, like hissing and spitting water when it wasn't supposed to. But I liked cleaning with steam, so I went for the $200 model (sorry, I've forgotten the model number). That one also lasted less than six months.

I also had a Euro-Pro steam press which cost about $500. The first one lasted less than two months, the replacement about a year. I have the little handheld Omega steamer which I think is made by Euro-Pro, or somehow affiliated with them, and a Shark vacuum, both of which are still functioning, but I would never buy another Euro-Pro product after the failure of the more expensive ones.

I bit the bullet and spent $700 on my current steamer, a Daimer. It has a lot of advantages over the Euro-Pros, as well it should for that price, but it's still working and there's a lifetime guarantee on the boiler.

If you do go for a Euro-Pro, I wish you a lot better luck than I've had. They're very hard to get in touch with and judging from my experience, they don't give a happy damn whether your purchase works or not.

Emily

Reply to
emily