How do I get to a GE Dryer heating element?

I think I can see it from the little "door" in the lower back of the dryer. But, how do I get to it?

(It's been blowing just warm air for quite awhile... not cold - luke warm...)

Model DPXQ473....

Thanks,

Palmer

Reply to
wwcp

Hi,

The heating element should be behind the drum = the drum comes out.

should help.

element assembly with housing.

Possible grounded heating element.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

Usually the front panel then the drum needs to be removed to access the heater element on the most common GE built dryers.

That is only *part* of a model number. The only reliable place to find an appliance's model number is on the model and serial number tag. You can find tips for locating the tag on your appliances in the 'Repair Parts' section of my site linked below.

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

The complete model number is: DPXQ473ET2WW - sorry

How do I get the drum out?

GE "Answer Line" wasn't interested in telling me how, or selling me a repair manual.... (Oh, how I miss the old days... lol)

I could figure out a whole bunch for myself - but, I can't even get the covers off..

Thanks,

Palmer

Reply to
wwcp

Hi,

The heating element should be behind the drum = the drum comes out.

should help.

element assembly with housing.

Possible grounded heating element or one of the 2 elements is broken.

jeff Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

Jeff posted a link to some pretty good details.

In today's 'sue-happy' world I'm not surprised, they don't know what qualifications you have in order not to severely injure yourself.

Realistically, there are people trained to so such work, why would they take bread and butter away for their paid employees just to tell you how to perform service your self?

You can get a repair manual for GE dryers published by GE at the following link:

GE/Hotpoint Step-by-Step Gas & Electric Dryer Repair Manual

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

Dan/Jeff,

Thank you so much for your feedback. I apologize for not "clicking" on those pages before posting again. That web site was VERY HELPFUL. Let me change that - EXTREMELY HELPFUL. Is that your site, Dan? VERY WELL DONE. So much so - that I've added it to my very short personal list of recommended links on my Ohio Fingerstyle Guitar Club website..

Once I woke up to where you guys were pointing me - I had the cover off, drum out and the problem with the heating element found within 10 minutes. (I never thought of looking in the door well for those long screws.... arg... duh..) I found a repacement heating element at a parts depot, purchased same, and had it installed in the dryer - and a smiling wife - all within another hour... You have one very grateful poster here.

In that I didn't buy the part from the site (needed her off my back asap) - I looked for a PayPal icon (or, something) where I could make a donation (or,something) to the site.. Much too useful of a site not to send in something for all the work they obviously put into it.

Thanks again,

Palmer

Reply to
wwcp

The Repair Clinic site? No it is not.

My site is

and Jeff's is
All have information about major home appliances which may be helpful consumers.

Glad to hear it, thanks for the follow up.

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to