Brick wall specification

A friend is looking to get a garden wall built. It will be brick,

2m high, about 5m long. It will join a larger garden brick wall at one end, and the other end will just come to a stop (meets flimsy fence panels which are already falling over).

Having done some brick laying, I've been asked what sort of spec is needed, so they can quiz the bricklayer and see if he says something similar, or if he hasn't got a clue what he's doing. Unfortunately, my friend has a history of using tradesmen who haven't got a clue what they're doing, even though they came highly recommended.

However, this spec wall is well beyond anything I've designed, so I'm hoping for some guidance here.

I'm guessing it could be a half brick wall (or possibly not), a one brick wall, or a one-and-a-half brick wall. What sort of size/spacing of piers would be required in each case? Also what sort of size foundations? I presume there are some rules of thumb, or even standard tables available to give some guidance here?

I have in mind to ask about the brick spec (I know about frost resistance and absorbancy ratings), and capping.

Also, how long would it take to build such a wall (one person), and any rough idea on price (London)?

Thanks.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

English garden wall bod ( 2 bricks thick) Frost resistant brick Laid frog up ... fully filled Flush / struck pointed

4:1 mix OPC & sand (add lime if you feel so inclined) Correct ratio of Plasticiser in water Pillar at each end fully bonded to wall 325x 325 One central pillar showing on rear face only, fully bonded into raer course ... need only be 2/3rd hieght of wall.

Q's to consider ? Is it holding anything back ... i.e. retaining earth or just free standing ? Can it be fully bonded into the wall it abuts ? ...

Needs waterproof coping, or as a minimum soldier course of bricks.

Reply to
Osprey

I'd recommend also using ties everywhere between front/back courses unless you cross bond it, also ties into any pillars. Its not so easy to bind into pillars IME, but I am a rank amateur so YMMV. Top with edge laid bricks and they must be hard bricks..as must any damp north facing areas. Frost damage is severe on unheated brick..

Foundations need not be huge. scrape and level a couple of courses below ground and either use strip foundations or simply lay concrete blocks on their side on strong mortar/concrete bed.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Quite a height... Brick-and-a-half (300mm) might be a good idea. Blue curved edge brick cappings give a quality finish. Blue class-a engineering from foundations to above ground.

I can not brick lay to save my life.

So I made a bricky-tool out of wood, half-round to the inside to shape the mortar, thickness to suit mortar, wall interlocking to create a great line. All I had to do was locate it on the wall, shovel on mortar, wipe level with a scrap of wood, place the bricks with perps coated. Use a bead to round the perps (the most difficult thing I am so hopeless).

It worked fine, indeed it looked absolutely precision-immaculate... like those utility buildings.

Perhaps that was the wrong thing to say!

Reply to
js.b1

At that height it probably ought to be properly designed. Chapter and verse:

Andy Wade

fantastic! Never thought anything that detailed would turn up.

First thing I notice is that a 2m high brick wall in London (but nowhere else) requires building regs approval.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Whilst that was true in 1984, I can't find any current reference saying it's still the case, and it's not mentioned on any of the London Council's Building Control websites I looked at. Anyone know if it's still the case?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

While the planning portal

) states simply that "Fences, walls and gates do not require building regulation approval." the City and Inner London Boros. may disagree. Several of them still refer to the need for an application under s.30 of the 1939 Act dealing with "(although it's been brought within the Building (Inner London) Regulations 1985 and heaven knows how they have been amended). Eg

"Certain special or temporary structures, e.g. flag poles, flue pipes, temporary stands for special events, freestanding boundary walls greater than 1.83 metres in height, require a consent to their erection and retention."

conveniently gives the text of the legislation

Reply to
Robin

I can attest to that

I sold my previous house because of it

the 1960's N- and E-facing extension was disappearing my eyes

and reappearing as shards on the ground below

--

Gill Smith