Round section wood

Looking to find some 4" diameter wood .... something reasonably hard, but does not have to be oak ... a dense softwood would do. But very open grain softwood no good.
Will be used as a roller, so has to be pretty good in round section.
Only need around 12" of it .... anybody any idea where I can get some (don't have a lathe)

anyone selling logs for burning

You could machine it round if necessary with 2 drills and an angle grinder.
NT

got a clip?
Jim K

anyone selling logs for burning
Needs to be good enough to work as a roller ....
maybe I'll have to pay a wood turner.
Rick Hughes (rick_hughes@remove_me.btconnect.com) wibbled on Monday 31 January 2011 12:00:

I've got some ash trunks - in East Sussex.
Where are you?
--
Tim Watts

]> I've got some ash trunks - in East Sussex.

S. Wales
Osprey wrote:

Try and find an "old Man's Shed" near you an they might make you something.
F Murtz wrote:

OOPS not sure whether you have "old mens sheds" in Britain. (organizations where old men gather and make things)
On Jan 30, 7:59am, F Murtz wrote:

I think we call them Preserved Railways ;-)
The idea seems to be catching on http://www.ageconcerncheshire.org.uk/shed.htm
Owain

We have building where old men gather to talk for no end, called 'House of Lords'
saying something like:

There's the Mens Sheds thingy going in some places. url:http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=mensshed+uk&aq=f&aqi=g-l1&aql=&oqStarted in Orstrilya and spread out.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

If you're near Telford I don't mind brushing the dust off the lathe.

If your hand tools skills are good, you can use the boatbuilders method of making masts and spars - google "spar gauge" and look at several explanations until you get the idea.
This will give you some of the idea: http://www.pettigrews.org.uk/lm/page030a.htm
(this design shows pencils, rather than scoring/marking with pins - as I was taught)
It's a fairly accurate technique for marking out a square section piece of timber, so that you then plane off the corners - to make an octagonal section.
You repeat the process to make a sixteen-sided section, and after that - you can probably identify the high points by eye, and reduce it to a circular section by sanding with a long belt of sand paper, drawn back and forth around your mast/spar/roller.
(NB, the ratios on the spar gauge are slightly different between 8 sides and sixteen. Some texts say don't worry about it - the difference is too small. Others texts seem unaware of the difference. Often though, you can judge marking out the sixteen sides by eye, and don't use the gauge again)
Irrelevant aside to what the OP wants to make:
The joy of using a spar gauge is that it is no more difficult to make a tapered circular cross-section, as it is to make one of a constant diameter - the gauge simply marks out the correct ratio - provided the square section timber has had the correct taper cut on it (if it's solid timber - usually done with a bandsaw), or built up (if it's been glulam'd together out of smaller timbers).
If your hand tools skills are good, you can use the boatbuilders method of making masts and spars - google "spar gauge" and look at several explanations until you get the idea.
This will give you some of the idea: http://www.pettigrews.org.uk/lm/page030a.htm
Interesting article ... Thanks

How about the legs for children's swings. Usually made from pressure treated redwood - may be dense enough for your needs. I know you can get them in 4" dia.

Plenty of ways to do this. Much depends on the weight, the point loading, the wear life and the weatherproofing.
* Plastic pipe, filled. Hard, smooth, weatherproof. Easy to embed a steel axle.
* Fencepost. Usually larch, which wears quite well but isn't quite as hard as some timbers. Will be quite smooth, but may be slightly oval (shrinkage on drying after rounding) and may have a spiral pattern that causes loads to shift on a long roller.
* Recycled wooden rollers. Salvage yard and look for old mangles. My stash of lignum vitae is old freight handling rollers from dockyard warehouses.
* Turned wood. Make a lathe. The easiest sort is a rectangular plywood "gutter" with end plates to carry centres (screwed spikes) and a router on an extension baseplate slides over the top. Manually rotate the roller and pass the router up and down. A variant uses an angle grinder with an arbortech cutting disk (I use this a lot for rough turning). A deluxe version uses a woodturning lathe (unpowered, or just at creep speed) as the centres and rests the router on a similar plywood guide. If you make your roller of two halves, it's again easy to embed an axle.
* Constructed masts and barrels of multiple staves. Almost certainly too much trouble, and the weight advantages are minimal at this size.
news:4602f5df-cf4a-4ba6-b64e-* Plastic pipe, * Fencepost. Usually larch, * Recycled wooden rollers. * Turned wood. Make a lathe.
Some good ideas Andy ....
Plastic pipe was obvious way forward, but can't think of a way to make outers thicker (picture will explain) i.e. almost like big cotton reel.
I'll give the reason, and a picture - so you can see what I want to make.
I had major knee reconstruction surgery ... half my knee joint is missing, I need to get my quadriceps muscles to pull joint tight & keep it stable. The recommend way (with no impact damage) is with a balance board, the effort to balance works knee joint without impact, and improves core balance.
What I want to build is :- http://tinyurl.com/63joa2g
and from underneath ... http://tinyurl.com/6jwdpxh
On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 12:25:34 -0000, Rick Hughes wrote:

Doesn't the physio department of the hospital have something they can let you have for a few months(*)?
Or buy:
http://www.activetoys.co.uk/shop/kites/kite-buggies/scrub-balance-boar d-378518.html?utm_source=google&utm_mediumse&utm_campaigntivetoy s
http://www.powerkiteshop.com/accessories/scrubboardtrainer.htm
(*) Though these days of excessive Eflfin protection they would have to give it to you as the "risk" of accepting it back would be to great. B-(
--
Cheers
Dave.

I did ask ... as I used one with Physio for 6 weeks ... but no spares to loan out.
I can buy them, but as it's only a roller fitted to piece of ply seemed a perfect DIY proposition.
I have been trying to figure out if I could find a way to make a round section with my Router table ... but not come up with one yet.
I have a bandsaw .. and could cut corners off a square, and keep going until it's round, but as it has to roll smoothly, could take a lot of time to get that round.
The earlier suggestion of router & piece of guttering has some possibilities.