recycling bricks....

is it a good idea?

chip mortar off old bricks

then use them to build a low soil-retaining wall in the back garden?

--

Gill Smith

Depends what condition the bricks are in, how easily the mortar comes off without damaging the bricks, and if the bricks will be suitable for the new intended use.

A soil retaining wall will need low absorbency frost resistant bricks. (It will also need designing to withstand the soil pressure, and to allow drainage from the soil, depending on size.)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

stocks a few years back. It's now nicely weathered and still intact. Unless you're trying to retain a clay soil, or it's considerably higher than that, I wouldn't bother with footings. Lime mortar usually comes off the old bricks easily, cement can be a pain though

Reply to
stuart noble

Provided the bricks are frost-proof, or at least that you cap them with something that is, then it's a nice way to save money and feel good.

Reply to
Skipweasel

capping alone is not enough. Experience is that any porous bricks in deep shade in winter will get frost-smashed especially if on the north side of a structure.

Yes, the capping takes the worst of it as they tend to get wettest, but even so the face bricks are subject to driving rain that will be to an extent retained.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Coat of damp-seal should shed most of that. Anyway - if it's not a critical wall then in some places it might look pleasantly rustic.

Of course, in other circumstances it might just look like a pile of crap.

Reply to
Skipweasel

a previous owner built a low soil-retaining garden wall

seemingly out of re-used bricks

it's bowed in the middle

--

Gill Smith

That's more down to not tying it with proper steel ties.

And building it straight with no buttresses.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

*and* single brick width!!!

I tell you, if house abuse were a crime, previous owner(s) would be hung....

--

Gill Smith

its slow, but if you need to save the money or the bricks are handmades, it tends to be worth it.

If theyre frost resistant enough, fine. If not they may still be good for some of the wall, but not all.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Easy with a scutching hammer if the mortar is lime, often potland mortar is harder than the bricks.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

Was that a result of reuse of bricks, or would they have cocked it up anyhow?

Reply to
Skipweasel

Thats not as easy as it sounds. If a strong mix has been used it can be a bugger to chip off & can damage the bricks in the attempt. It also takes ages.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

you can be sure of a good measure of c*ck-up in everything done to this house

it'd all be funny if I wasn't now the owner

--

Gill Smith

Did it have a loo like this?

Skipweasel

Here in NZ, old (cleaned) bricks cost more than new bricks. I use them for paths and low walls. My walls are always a single brick width, and I'm about to build a brick wall a half brick high, i.e. about 2 inches high! At least that won't fall down.

Want to see what happens to brick houses in a NZ earthquake?

Matty F

Bah - nothing you can't fix with a grinder and a bit of filler.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Duct tape would be better.

Reply to
Matty F

come off easy enough, sharp bolster, should most come off with one hit with a hammer.

When you re-lay them use a weak mix ... 5:1 (sand : opc)

Reply to
Rick Hughes

thankfully, not as bad as that

--