Round section wood

anyone selling logs for burning

Needs to be good enough to work as a roller ....

maybe I'll have to pay a wood turner.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

If your hand tools skills are good, you can use the boatbuilders method of making masts and spars - google "spar gauge" and look at several explanations until you get the idea.

This will give you some of the idea:

Interesting article ... Thanks

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Rick Hughes (rick_hughes@remove_me.btconnect.com) wibbled on Monday 31 January 2011 12:00:

I've got some ash trunks - in East Sussex.

Where are you?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Alternative thought, go to a farm fencing place and buy a round 4" post, some of them are machined for use with machinery for putting in posts.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan
  • Plastic pipe, * Fencepost. Usually larch, * Recycled wooden rollers. * Turned wood. Make a lathe.

Some good ideas Andy ....

Plastic pipe was obvious way forward, but can't think of a way to make outers thicker (picture will explain) i.e. almost like big cotton reel.

I'll give the reason, and a picture - so you can see what I want to make.

I had major knee reconstruction surgery ... half my knee joint is missing, I need to get my quadriceps muscles to pull joint tight & keep it stable. The recommend way (with no impact damage) is with a balance board, the effort to balance works knee joint without impact, and improves core balance.

What I want to build is :-

from underneath ...

Rick Hughes

Doesn't the physio department of the hospital have something they can let you have for a few months(*)?

Or buy:

*) Though these days of excessive Eflfin protection they would have to give it to you as the "risk" of accepting it back would be to great. B-(

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I have a large Lawn Mower outlet nearby, I can ask there ... but going on price they charged me for a single spring for a Honda pullstart, a tree might be cheaper :-)

Reply to
Rick Hughes

That sounds like an item that is now very expensive as they seem to have aesthetic values in peoples gardens :-)

Size wise would be ideal though

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Reply to
Rick Hughes

]> I've got some ash trunks - in East Sussex.

S. Wales

Reply to
Rick Hughes

I did ask ... as I used one with Physio for 6 weeks ... but no spares to loan out.

I can buy them, but as it's only a roller fitted to piece of ply seemed a perfect DIY proposition.

I have been trying to figure out if I could find a way to make a round section with my Router table ... but not come up with one yet.

I have a bandsaw .. and could cut corners off a square, and keep going until it's round, but as it has to roll smoothly, could take a lot of time to get that round.

The earlier suggestion of router & piece of guttering has some possibilities.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Now I see what you want it for, there are plenty of logs in my woodshed of adequate roundness for that job.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

Get a piece of wood and support it in a frame on 2 screws, one in each end so that it can rotate. Pass the fram through the bandsaw rotating a little each time and you end up with a roller. A little sanding with a strip of emery to take the minimal corners off and you're done.

John

Reply to
John

You can't find a 12 inch length of timber about 4 inches in diameter?

Good grief. If there isn't a local saw mill, ask someone at the local council if they are cutting any trees in the area. This is the season for that. Or phone up a tree surgeon.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Go to

and ask on the Turning Board if there's a turner in your area. This is a 10 minute job for a lathe. And you will be able to watch and perhaps have a 'turn'.

If you are using it in an indoors situation I would avoid the suggestions of a tree branch which will have bark on it and everything nasty that will stain your carpet - and will be green wood too.

Lots of people here who it would seem don't know much about wood - larch for instance is very sappy, so not suitable indoors, fence posts have been treated to avoid rot and will similarly be unsuitable indoors. And as said a tree branch will equally be unsuitable unless several years old. Rob

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

You mean resin, not sap.

Yes, you wil have to pick your piece if you use larch - some has so much resin it's translucent. Yet there will be plenty in the same stack that's bone dry. The reason for using larch though is simple availability: it's what easily obtained fenceposts are made from.

When I've made balance boards I've used hornbeam and plywood, although those were the circular "flying saucer" design with a hemispherical pivot, not the one-axis "skateboard" sort.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Look at a "rocker board"? Easier to make and may also suit...

Otherwise: I'd take a suitable hole saw to plywood, and use the bits left inside the hole saw. They will have a hole from the pilot drill. Then glue up a stack of these with a bit of threaded rod and nuts, using a smaller one in the middle for the groove.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Even the rough-cut ones are fairly round, though you have to choose your posts.

Cut to short lengths and ripped into four, they make excellent rustic shelf brackets, for use with your reclaimed scaff boards ;-)

Cheers Richard

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember F Murtz saying something like:

There's the Mens Sheds thingy going in some places. url:

in Orstrilya and spread out.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon