Brick Seat Wall on concrete slab?

Hi! We are having a seating wall made of Unilock pavers put in. We have a concrete slab patio. Is it better to put the wall directly on the concrete or next to it? We have received different opinions on this, some say the concrete will crack. Thanks for any help!

Reply to
thelockerroom

When you say that the wall will be made out of pavers, do you mean the stackable wall block, or are you talking about leftover patio pavers? Either way, if you're talking about a wall roughly 18" high and a foot thick, that's about 275 pounds per linear foot. If the slab doesn't have reinforcement, you're in a colder climate, the sub-grade wasn't prepared correctly or the slab is on expansive soil (clay), then the odds are pretty good that the slab will crack.

I'd probably put the low wall next to the patio so they can move independently of each other. You could use concrete block and add colorant to surface bonding cement to give the wall a stucco look and top it with whatever. That would bring the weight down a fair.

RicodJour

Thanks for the info! We're using stackable wall pavers.

Reply to
thelockerroom

I don't know what stackable wall pavers are.

Garden wall blocks would be stable, but a bit thin. I can't imagine them looking good on the back side. Keystone or similar will break the concrete at about 80# per unit and I can't imagine them looking satisfactory on whatever is the back side.

Win, lose, or draw, take Rico's advice and keep the wall off the slab or excavate under the slab edge and improve the bearing.

Reply to
DanG