Steel or concrete lintel?

I will soon be needing a lintel of around 2.5-2.7m.

My engineer hasn't finished his calculations yet, so I am not sure which one I will need exactly, but it is meant to raplace a supporting wall in a tenement flat removed in order to create an open plan kitchen.

In the past I used a concrete one, but the memory of having to carry it 2 floors up, and then position it at nearly 4m high (height of ceiling) is not a pleasant one. Hence I decided to investigate the possibility of using a steel one instead.

How do they compare in terms of:

  1. Weight?
  2. Price? (concrete one was ~ £30 last year IIRC)
  3. Availability? (I can wait a few weeks).

Thanks a lot in advance.

Reply to
JoeJoe

Don't know about cost - but I would have thought that the obvious choice would be an I-section RSJ - which is much stronger than a hollow steel lintel of the type used over windows, and lighter than concrete. More or less instantly available from any good steel stockist. You may need to get a structural engineer to do some calculations to satisfy the BCO, but I'd be surprised if it comes out bigger than 6" tall.

With a bit of luck, you'll be able to put it in the ceiling space - where it will be hidden - with a continuous ceiling below it. If the ceiling joists are at right-angles to it, you can cut them to fit into - and be supported by - the I section (in which case the floor loading will need to be included in the calculations).

Reply to
Set Square

You should let your engineer say what he wants to see.

an 8 inch RSG intel is 25kg a meter, I got a 7.5 metre one into place on my own, I used hand tools only.

RSJ's are cheep, catnec's are more expensive.

RSJ's are avalaible for collection from any decent steel stockholder, delivery will depend upon what mood they are in.

Catnics, from any decent builders merchant.

I suspect you will be needing a whole lot more steel than you think. You may need to put steel uprights in as well, if there is insufficient walls left, and something for the uprights to rest on.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Less for sure.

Probably a bit more, but not much.

Should be possible - if you pick from a standard 'I' beam, its just a question of cutting a bit off and delivering it..if you want a complete frame - i.e. maybe square box section supports, and a welded on I beam top..a few weeks is likley.

But I asseme its goind to be let into existing load bearing walls. DO be aware though that as with any lintel, the total load of the wall above no longer rests on continuous brickwork beneath - but on 2 points in the outer walls. Sometimes extra strengthening is needed.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher