BC to ES adapter

Going to be somewhat more difficult if you want to take advantage of the ELV to run a few hundred watts of LED lighting from it. Have to redo the calculation for about 20A.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

The hazard is the throat-sized plastic bungs!

Reply to
Roger Hayter

The bulb thread doesn't make contact until it's well screwed in (the socket thread is plastic) - that's how the more modern ones work.

Reply to
Tim Watts

My phone charges off 5V. Either from a computer USB socket, or, as I discovered, from a wallwart. The wallwart in question is smaller than an ordinary 13A plug, and looks just like one, which is why I didn't notice it actually was a wallwart. So I retain the flexibility of being able to charge it wherever's convenient, without having to replace sockets everywhere.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Quite. It's a solution looking for a non existent problem.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I would suggest that the protection needs to be there, not because the

5v is a hazard for infants but because the infants are a hazard for the 5v :-)
Reply to
Clive George

And in the ones I've come across the shroud ensures the threaded cap is be well out of reach of fingers by the time it makes contact.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

ah, more fiction

That's because you haven't done the numbers. It's getting to be a theme.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

You could always compare UK electrical house fire rates with other countries. We do quite well. Of course other factors come into those figures too.

But I don't think one must, after all it's no mystery that bad connections occur and cause fires. And it's no mystery that rings are massively more tolerant of bad connections.

I thought those presentations on the whole very iffy.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

some do, most don't.

A 1.5" square can carry 4 low voltage outlets comfortably at less cost than a single mains socket. Or a 1" strip as high as mains sockets.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I didn't consider that much ampacity, but maybe, and I stress maybe, one could kill 2 birds with 1 stone by using lighting supplies that can also provide local 12v rails. Much easier to start out with off the shelf bits though.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

And just how are you going to mount that in a wall? Fittings are a standard size so you can use standard size back boxes.

But carry on - you are just confirming you have no idea how to cost this sort of job.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You can't work out how to mount a backbox & faceplate to a wall? Holy ----. Hint: mains sockets, phone sockets, aerial sockets & others have been doing it in several ways for a good century. That ought to give you at least a clue re costs, but maybe not.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Without using a proper back box? Why would I?

Sounds like you'd be happy with surface mount sockets and surface run cables. Which would explain things.

With some, as neat as possible looking job is as important as functionality.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

En el artículo , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com escribió:

Whereas you're clueless about netiquette.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Because a hard converter short would otherwise blow the ring's fuse or trip the ring's circuit breaker, and many normal people would not be able to de al with that themselves. If it happened while SWMBO was watching a soap on TV, the consequences might be horrendous.

It does not need to look more ugly than any other adaptor. And it would be less ugly than a large BS1363 multi-way adapter stuffed with ill-matched w arts.

Why me? I an thinking of what might benefit many people. And I have six w arts in this room, with a seventh expected soon; in every case, they were s upplied as a part of an acquisition of a larger item. Most warts are not c hosen by the purchaser.

If plug-in converters as I suggested were readily available, with the input to match the country of sale, then vendors of devices with warts would red esign them to be devices with small plugs or inlet sockets.

You need to think more widely before you write. An infant is a hazard to a lmost everything, including a hole in which something (not necessarily easi ly removed) might be stuffed; and a removed bung is liable to be a hazard t o an infant's or baby's digestion.

Reply to
dr.s.lartius

In uk.d-i-y message , Tue, 14 Feb 2017

00:21:23, "Dave Plowman (News)" posted:

Well, my nearest wart is 12V 1.5A, and drives a 1.5TB HDD with a USB signal lead. And my laptop has a cable wart, 20V 3.25A. My scanner,

24V 350mA; my old speakers, 9V 1A.
Reply to
Dr J R Stockton

that doesn't even make sense

hint: your imagination is not reality. You do not have mind reading skills.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

What do you think that's in the 5V PS capable of taking out a 30 amp breaker? Far more likely is a component would simply burn out if it shorted. No problem, given it's in a flame proof box.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You obviously didn't understand what using non standard faceplate sizes meant, then.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)