Lamp adaptors at TLC Direct.

All sorts; BC to ES, BC to GU10, ES to G9 etc. 15 different combinations.

Looks useful....

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The same noncompliant stuff as on amazon, but at twice the price. If you look at the construction details, there's plenty to criticise.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Undoubtedly useful, although they seem to be missing the obvious one (to me, at least), which is BC male to ES female.

ES is increasingly becoming the standard for bulbs, so on one job I thought I might use an ES pendant. Scoured all the normal sources (Sfx, Toolstation, B&Q, blah, blah) but couldn't find one anywhere, which still seems odd to me. Undoubtedly there are plenty of places they can be found, but I rather prefer the idea of being able to get hold of a replacement immediately for such things if ever needed.

Reply to
GMM

In article , The Medway Handyman writes

SES to G9 looks interesting as a candle replacement but are G9s safe without a safety screen/enclosure? I'm used to halogen capsules being behind hard glass in case they shatter when they blow.

Reply to
fred

I have a G9 in the ES adapter

in a repro Henningsen PH5 pendant fitting as a replacement for the rather strange tubular lamp that came with fitting. The fitting does have a circular glass diffuser below the lamp which should prevent problems in the event that the G9 shatters.

Reply to
rbel

I can believe Amazon might sell non compliant stuff - but would TLC?

This one has a CE mark clearly displayed;

Perhaps that's why they are twice the price?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

u look at the construction details, there's plenty to criticise.

All such items have been noncompliant since circa 1970, its why they disapp eared from the marketplace. Look closer at the pics and you can see signs t hat all isnt well. A CE sticker on a chinese product doesnt mean much. They re the same range amazon sells. Having bought some I can confirm they have design flaws that impact safety. To the sellers in china & HK its of little import of course. I was mildly surprised to see TLC stocking such stuff, b ut at least it tells us something about them.

They work, but understand what youre buying. The most common issue I saw is wires clamped under a self tap type screw into (sometimes 125C rated) plas tic. If its gastight initially, use of too high a power bulb will result in loss of pressure, corrosion, heating and failure or fire. None have any po wer ratings. There are also the more obvious issues like BC to ES results i n the outer skirt being live half the time, and one that takes BC bulbs has the pins exposed to touch. I wouldnt want to put a 100w bulb in any of the m.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

All sorts; BC to ES, BC to GU10, ES to G9 etc. 15 different combinations.

Whats the process behind getting a CE mark AAMOI? Is it an independent testing body?

Is there no enforcement preventing fake CE stickers being used?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Bell make decent ceramic G9 adaptors to both BC and ES bases, and a range of glass globes as covers. These make attractive replacements for standard incandescents in fittings where the bulb is visible, and would contain the bits should the capsule go bang. TLC don't stock them, but googling "Bell G9" adaptor gets lots of hits. I've just ordered some more from

who are one of the cheaper suppliers, and the delivery was

24 hours or so. Usual no connection disclaimer.

Charles F

Reply to
Charles F

I'd looked at a few on Ebay etc. but didn't know about these - thanks.

Ikea is a bit stoopid, as it sells only screw-cap LEDS but doesn't stock adaptors (that I've managed to find anyway).

Some of the adaptors on Amazon get poor reviews due to low quality - not something that I'd want hanging over my head!

Reply to
PeterC

The first two are that.

Reply to
PeterC

A bit OT but it amazes me how the lamp diplays in supermarkets confuse so many people. Recently I saw a woman taking photos of some and e-mailing the photos to someone to get advice on what she needed. Why don't people just take the dud with them and then they can get some reliable advice. I have sometimes tried to help but I have found that people don't know if they need GU10 or MR11.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Perhaps because it means getting the ladder out twice.

Reply to
charles

charles wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@charleshope.demon.co.uk:

If people don't sort of intuitively know what they need then they need some sort of stragegy - such as making a note for next time.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Or do as I do, buy two spares the first time it blows, and take the old one or the packaging with me when it blows.

Reply to
John Williamson

In message , DerbyBorn writes

Cos they forget/left it at home, or don't realise there are so many out there, and some are very similar, or their partner/mum whoever said, 'oh the bulb is like this'. Etc. lots of reasons

Reply to
chris French

I still recall the UL inspector telling me of walking through a Taiwan factory and spotting an employee practicing forging his signature so they could claim UL approval for other products! IIRC, CE testing is done and certified by the manufacturer. I have seen Chinese PSUs which had been certified, shipped without the requisite mains filtering as it reduced the costs. The pcbs had the spaces for the components linked out with pieces of wire.

Reply to
Capitol

That one does look legit - and I'd have thought TLC wouldn't have fakes but...

shows the correct logo - if you complete the C it should overlap the E but only just - like on that site. Many fakes are too close together.

It's all a bit dodgy from some "suppliers"...

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

So they are. Dunnoe how I missed that before....

Reply to
GMM