OT: Windows 7 apps launch but invisible on screen

Sprog#2's xmas laptop came with Windows 8 which Sprog#1 just upgraded to Win7. Explorer works but Chrome, Skype and Control Panel (at least: haven't tried others) appear to launch (generating icons in the task bar which right-clicking indicate they're alive) but don't appear as actual application windows on the screen! (Sprog#1 has also just buggered off back to college so I'm left to pick up the pieces :-().

It's for all the world as if the application's window is being displayed somewhere off-screen or on another desktop (except there only appears to be one desktop).

Google doesn't seem to have heard of this problem (or my attempt to describe it). Anyone?

Reply to
John Stumbles

Right click the task bar, and choose 'Cascade windows'.

Reply to
Adrian C

Could be the case if a second screen has been used with it.

Try this: press WindowsKey-P and click on 'Computer only'

Reply to
nemo

It was "disconnect projector" but that worked - thanks!

Reply to
John Stumbles

Interesting: The dialog text says Computer Only when there's no external screen connected, but changes when there is - doesn't seem worth it to me.

Anyway, glad it's sorted for you.

Reply to
nemo

Windows logo key keyboard shortcuts

Windows logo key Open or close the Start menu.

Windows logo key +Pause Display the System Properties dialog box.

Windows logo key +D Display the desktop.

Windows logo key +M Minimize all windows.

Windows logo key +Shift+M Restore minimized windows to the desktop.

Windows logo key +E Open Computer.

Windows logo key +F Search for a file or folder.

Ctrl+Windows logo key +F Search for computers (if you're on a network).

Windows logo key +L Lock your computer or switch users.

Windows logo key +R Open the Run dialog box.

Windows logo key +T Cycle through programs on the taskbar.

Windows logo key +number Start the program pinned to the taskbar in the position indicated by the number. If the program is already running, switch to that program.

Shift+Windows logo key +number Start a new instance of the program pinned to the taskbar in the position indicated by the number.

Ctrl+Windows logo key +number Switch to the last active window of the program pinned to the taskbar in the position indicated by the number.

Alt+Windows logo key +number Open the Jump List for the program pinned to the taskbar in the position indicated by the number.

Windows logo key +Tab Cycle through programs on the taskbar by using Aero Flip 3-D.

Ctrl+Windows logo key +Tab Use the arrow keys to cycle through programs on the taskbar by using Aero Flip 3-D.

Ctrl+Windows logo key +B Switch to the program that displayed a message in the notification area.

Windows logo key +Spacebar Preview the desktop.

Windows logo key +Up Arrow Maximize the window.

Windows logo key +Left Arrow Maximize the window to the left side of the screen.

Windows logo key +Right Arrow Maximize the window to the right side of the screen.

Windows logo key +Down Arrow Minimize the window.

Windows logo key +Home Minimize all but the active window.

Windows logo key +Shift+Up Arrow Stretch the window to the top and bottom of the screen.

Windows logo key +Shift+Left Arrow or Right Arrow Move a window from one monitor to another.

Windows logo key +P Choose a presentation display mode.

Windows logo key +G Cycle through gadgets.

Windows logo key +U Open Ease of Access Center.

Windows logo key +X Open Windows Mobility Center.

Reply to
GB

Click on one of the "hidden" programs in the task bar, press alt-space, type the letter "M" and then hold down an arrow key (you won't know which of them is the right one!) to try to move the absent window back from off the edge of the screen to be visible, if you do get it to appear, press Enter to finish the movement.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Blimey! I just pushed my windows logo key for the first time ever

Reply to
stuart noble

I agree did he run another monitor on the system? Not seen that issue before myself.

Its perfectly possible of course to minimise apps so they won't come back if the actual process has stalled or crashed but normally you could tell this by some diagnostics. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Plug a second monitor in. I'll lay odds the missing programs appear on it. If they do just drag them back onto the Laptop screen and they will stay there in future.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Yeah, I tried that first!

Reply to
John Stumbles

I asked him and he said he hadn't tried connecting it to the TV's VGA cable but he had plugged his 'droid phone into it and had got a dialogue suggesting he could display something on the phone, and had tried that.

Reply to
John Stumbles