Aluminium based primer

I need to paint our (communal) front door. A neighbour has rubbed it down, levelled it with filler then abandoned the job. My plan is to take 'direct action' and go ahead and paint it. I therefore cannot really find out what he has done.

It's an external door exposed to sun and rain (sometimes at the same time) so needs maximum protection. I am tempted to use aluminium primer (which I have used in the past) but I see it is recommended more for resinous woods. I am dubious about any water based primer outside and with an unknown base. I don't mind if it's over-kill. Can I go ahead and use aluminium primer or am I making a mistake?

Reply to
Scott

Well I think you should be OK, but very severe sun can crack it up just as much as anything else. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

You can't beat creosote!

Reply to
harry

I think its banned though (at least until Brexit).

Reply to
Scott